Node problems disk warrior etc

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ejpwalker, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Ejpwalker macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My hard drive has gone with node structure failures and problems. I tried to reinstall osx which gave me the list of probe on disc utilities. It's a PowerPC powerbook laptop

I am wondering about diskwarrior as an alternative to taking it into the local computer shop

If I tried diskwarrior how would I run it with the osx disk seemingly stuck in the drive?

I have a PowerPC g5 tower could I run it through that by linking them up not sure how I,d do this

Anyway any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

I make music but am no computer whizz :confused:

Cheers.

Paul

I'm just looking to get music and files off and then put a new drive in

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

DiskWarrior is invaluable. So is Alsoft's support. If you buy it you can put the disk in the G5 and copy the program over. Then start up the PowerBook in Target Disk Mode (attached to the G5). It'll load as a Firewire disk on the G5's desktop (you might also see the Install disk in the PB's drive, but maybe not). Just run DW from the G5 using it on the PB's hard drive.

3. Ejpwalker thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the heads up. The osx is reinstall process is coming up automatically at the moment so I take it I should restart the computer in target mode? Should the hard drive at lest show up on the g5 at this stage or will that only become apparent when diskwarrior is working? I only ask as I'm concerned it's not showing up at all when linked up but I may be doing it slightly wrong!? Paul

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Shutdown the Powerbook and attach a firewire cable to it. Hold down the T key and then press the power button. You will know the PB is in target disk mode when you see a Firewire symbol moving around on the screen.

Once you have the PB in Target Disk Mode attach the other end of the Firewire cable to the G5. The PB's hard drive should then come up on the G5 desktop.

5. Ejpwalker thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi thanks. I went through the process and it seemed to only bring up the osx and weirdly some kind of windows media player icon. When I got the osx DVD out and tried again it does not seem to have brought anything up. Does this bode badly for using the Diskwarrior or might it work better putting the disc warrior straight into the PowerBooks DVD drive?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, if the drive did not come up on the desktop you can try booting from the CD/DVD on the PowerBook, but I don't have a lot of hope for that if DW did not see it the first time.

If you are a registered owner of DW and really need your data, call them. They will have you send your drive and a spare (of equal or greater size in a drive enclosure) to them.

They did this for me and were even nice enough to pay for the shipping both ways.

7. Ejpwalker thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok cool, thanks so much for the help.

I don't have DW yet but have it on order it didn't show on the desktop just in normal procedure that you advised so maybe DW will allow some work on the disk if installed? Osx install disk let me have a go through utilities so hope for the best?!

Great help you're a star wherever you are I'm in Scotland

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No problem. Been using DW for several years as routine maintenence for my G5 at work so I've come to like it a lot.

If the install disk lets you see the HD through Utilities then DW will see your disk. The later versions are far more robust than the version I started with. More powerful and with various data recovery tools. Beyond that there are special codes that the techs at Alsoft can tell you to enter in order to help things along.

Good luck.

P.S., I'm in Phoenix, AZ. USA. :)