Nodus vs Vaja Leather Case

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Considering the Nodus Shell case of the Vaja Slim Grip. Has anyone tried both brands before? How's the leather on the Nodus? Does it hold up well? I know Vaja's leather is solid since I've used an iPhone 4 case several years ago but Nodus is new to me.

Welcome to any suggestions. Thanks!

PS: I know the Nodus has bulit in magnets on the case for easy docking but that isn't useful for me. Just curious about the price in relation to the leather. Does Vaja has better leather since it costs more?

darrinS

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Nodus makes nice quality cases. I have purchased several cases from them and a lot from Vaja Cases over the years.

My concern with Nodus this time around is I wonder if the metal piece they put inside of the case will affect wireless charging. The cases in the past had metal and they send a separate magnet block to attach the case to.

My only gripe with Vaja is their grip cases for the 7 Plus barely provide protection if you lay down your phone face down. I purchased a few different grip cases for my 7 Plus and only one of them provided enough protection. 2 of the 3 had one corner where the glass would actually touch the surface if face down.

Both have great customer service.

Pug72

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
England
Nodus state that the iPhone X Access case is not compatible with their magnet mounts.

This to me means they've omitted the metal to allow wireless charging.

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Nodus state that the iPhone X Access case is not compatible with their magnet mounts.

This to me means they've omitted the metal to allow wireless charging.
I am actually more interested with the shell case though..

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Nodus makes some great quality cases. The leather they use is top notch. I had the yellow for my 7 Plus.

Fuyuanhuihaoxiao

Suspended
Feb 4, 2017
i always search amazon before google, the nodus and the vaja cases should be good, but the price is not normal
if you search at amazon, focus on the reviews, you will find better choice there

darrinS

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Vaja seems to have redesigned the Slim Grip case for the iPhone X. It now fully protects the top. I had a few different ones for my 7 Plus and the old design, which seems to have stayed for the 7 & 8 models, didn't really protect the top or even the glass. When laying the phone facedown it didn't provide enough protection. I really like the look of the version for the X, much more than Nodus' similar version. That being said, I will probably go with Apple's folio this time.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have had 3 Nodus cases and like them the best. However they don't hold up well at all. My first Nodus case was for the 6s Plus. Shortly afterward I noticed 3 dots up each side about 1/4 of a penny size. I sent them some pics of it and they promptly shipped out a replacement. Keep in mind that this was 3 months after I received the case so that was great customer service I must say. The second one started fraying around he corners after about 3 months, then the phone started falling out. I ordered another one since I liked it so much.

Then came time for the 7 plus. Pre-ordered about 7 weeks before the 7 plus even came out. Kept getting the run around saying it was shipping out soon within days. Waited until the week following Thanksgiving and still no case. Ended up canceling my order and getting something else in December. A couple months later I saw they were in stock so I ordered one. Same thing happened to the 7 plus version. It started fraying on the corners and the phone started falling out. I think that will be it for Nodus for me. The leather and quality seems top notch though when you initially receive it.

Going to try out the Vaja case probably since I am going to order one of their leather cases for my 2017 15" MBP

darrinS

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I have had 3 Nodus cases and like them the best. However they don't hold up well at all. My first Nodus case was for the 6s Plus. Shortly afterward I noticed 3 dots up each side about 1/4 of a penny size. I sent them some pics of it and they promptly shipped out a replacement. Keep in mind that this was 3 months after I received the case so that was great customer service I must say. The second one started fraying around he corners after about 3 months, then the phone started falling out. I ordered another one since I liked it so much.

Then came time for the 7 plus. Pre-ordered about 7 weeks before the 7 plus even came out. Kept getting the run around saying it was shipping out soon within days. Waited until the week following Thanksgiving and still no case. Ended up canceling my order and getting something else in December. A couple months later I saw they were in stock so I ordered one. Same thing happened to the 7 plus version. It started fraying on the corners and the phone started falling out. I think that will be it for Nodus for me. The leather and quality seems top notch though when you initially receive it.

Going to try out the Vaja case probably since I am going to order one of their leather cases for my 2017 15" MBP
Vaja and Nodus have great customer support. I have purchased from both and have contacted both. I ordered the new slim grip case from Vaja for the X. Its a new design, covers the buttons and the top, unlike their regular grip case. My first case ever from Vaja was purchased over 14 years ago.

SuperMatt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2002
I really like the Nodus Access cases, having had 2 of them. Fantastic wallet cases, and half the price of the Vaja ones. The suction method for holding the phone is genius and leaves no residue if you want to use it case-less for a while or sell it after a year.

Pug72

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
England
Would be perfect for me if so.
Would stick it in the Nodus when putting in my pocket and going out.

SuperMatt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2002
Would be perfect for me if so.
Would stick it in the Nodus when putting in my pocket and going out.
I'm not sure the Nodus is conducive to taking it in and out of the case every day. I took it in and out a few times over a 2-year period... takes a few seconds to peel it away from the strong micro-suction and then you have to line it up carefully when putting it back in. It's not really a swap-in and swap-out case, in my opinion. Others here may have used it in that way, so perhaps it is only my experience. Maybe if you leave it in there for months at a time without removing it, it gets stuck in nice and tight...

Pug72

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
England
Maybe if the pad's adhesion is reduced a bit with finger grease, it'd be easier to unstick.

Kinda defeats the object then I guess.

darrinS

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I really like the Nodus Access cases, having had 2 of them. Fantastic wallet cases, and half the price of the Vaja ones. The suction method for holding the phone is genius and leaves no residue if you want to use it case-less for a while or sell it after a year.
I remember they had the suction on the front cover also on the 1st version of the case to keep the cover closed. But it left an imprint on the glass. I think because it removed the oleophobic cover off the glass. I had the ver 2 and it didn’t have the suction on the front cover. The back was perfect as the iPhone was metal. I wonder if there will be any problems now that the iPhone backs are glass. I assume there’s no oleophobic coating on the back. So shouldn’t be a problem.

SuperMatt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2002
I remember they had the suction on the front cover also on the 1st version of the case to keep the cover closed.
I remember that too on my first one. That was a good idea in theory, but that little flap on the front got bent out of shape from opening and closing the flap. They have since eliminated it, so that won't be a problem.