Noel Gallagher wants an iphone for Christmas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveForever, Dec 27, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Noel Gallagher of oasis THE greatest band on the planet says he wants an iphone for Christmas

In a typically humorous and irony filled interview he says he wants an iphone for Christmas.

Irony to all our American friends is when you say something with a serious tone but don't really mean it. For some reasons Americans have trouble getting this comedic concept and it leads to all sorts of misunderstandings between the UK and the US. Clearly Rollingstone don't get irony as they iimply that Noel REALLY believes that “I am f%$^’ brilliant every night I go out there. I could give a f%$^’ about anybody else in the band.” oh dear... IT IS MEANT TO BE FUNNY HA HA

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai.../oasis-noel-gallagher-has-one-christmas-wish/

“I’d like an iPhone, a laptop, a new haircut and a Christmas card that didn’t say f%$^’ Noel on the front. That would be f%$^’ nice. Just one year. I always get this ****, right. And people go, ‘Did you get my card?’ And you go, ‘I dunno, which one was that?’ ‘Oh, you must’ve seen it. It had Noel written on the front.’ ‘Really, and how many of those do you think I get?’ That’s right. All of them. They all end up at my f%$^’ house. ‘Oh, there’s a card with my name on it, brilliant. That’s from my parents. I’ll thank them again for that.’ f%$^’’ pair of idiots.”

What, you were expecting holiday fuzzies from the guy who told us, “I am f%$^’ brilliant every night I go out there. I could give a f%$^’ about anybody else in the band.” One of those other dudes in his band, brother Liam, explained the band’s “love us or hate us” ethos in a recent chat with RS:

“Why would you want everyone to like you? That was the beauty of things growing up; not everyone was into the same music as you and that’s what stood you apart from everyone. You go into school and you go, ‘I’m different from you, man.’ ‘Why?’ ‘ ‘Cause I like the f%$^’ Stone Roses. Who do you f%$^’ like? You like Madonna.’ If everyone’s all into the same thing that’s when you lose your identity.”

2. Robby9279 macrumors regular

I thought that was Sarcasm,
    Irony is the opposite of what you expect to happen.
    (Example) I hate books but you find me reading one.

3. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

LOL!!! Thanks for a good laugh...

5. kovy17 macrumors member

@ LiveForever

Not every American is stupid. No need to explain words to us. And if you do explain what a word means how about you give us the right meaning. The word you are thinking of is SARCASM not IRONY. But i do agree Oasis is the best band ever

6. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

How ironic. ;)

7. TheMBC macrumors 6502

8. kolax macrumors G3

Kind of - you gave an example of a contradiction. Irony can be a form of sarcasm (and be a contradiction to an extent).

It would be ironic if I left Scotland for Australia to get away from all the rain only to have it rain the whole time I'm in Australia.

9. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Yes! that's what I meant, I couldn't really think of a good example.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is an excellent FAIL to warm up my morning. Thank you! :)

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Sarcasm requires irony.

When you say something sarcastic, you are saying it ironically.

"nice haircut", when said sarcasticly, is because the haircut is bad - making the statement ironic.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Not really - if he said his hair was bad and needed cut and you said it did actually look good, then he goes and gets it cut and it looks dreadful, that'd be ironic.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You saying is bad haircut is a "good haricut" is ironic (and quite sarcastic of you).

Him getting his hair cut after your snarky comment is more incidental than anything else. The fact that it come out even worse than before is just bad luck.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Yes, but also ironic because of the context.

Anyway, we're going off topic so..

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed. I bought one CD of theirs and I bet you can guess which one that is. The rest I have never heard. I think there are three songs that ever get played on the radio and those were off the CD I do own.

16. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I wouldn't say they suck, it's just that they were more popular overseas then they ever were here in the states.

18. kolax macrumors G3

You make it sound like Oasis are from America. You should have phrased that, "they never managed to crack into the American charts".

Oasis were, and still are huge in the UK. Aside from their notorious arrogance, they are brilliant musicians, and their music is fantastic.

19. Kazakaz macrumors member

I guess Alanis Morissette never made it big in the UK, otherwise we wouldn't be having to discuss the definition of the word ironic. :D

20. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Oh man .. don't even get me started on THAT one. :eek:

(and for the record, Oasis is pretty good)

21. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

lol nice...but god do i hate her music.

and to the OP, don't try to put down an entire nationality, in turn making you look like a complete arrogant d-bag, when in fact you don't know what you're talking about. it's sarcasm, not irony bud.