Noice cancellation mic's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhimpele, Jun 18, 2010.

1. bhimpele macrumors member

Can someone explain what exactly this new feature is?

2. fuzion macrumors 6502

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_cancellation

3. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

The second mic picks up background noise and essentially inverts it and adds it to the voice input of the other mic. This creates a input that contains more of the audio you want and not the background noise.

4. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I think the second mic listens for background noise to cancel it out so that when you make a call your voice is a lot clearer. I may be wrong though. I am no expert.

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The second mic at the top of the phone is used to pick up background noise, which is then removed from the sound that is sent to the person you're talking to.

6. elliotsdad macrumors newbie

and used for music...?

Wouldn't the same circuitry be able to be used for the headphone output to make normal headphones/earphones into nicer noise cancelling ones, so we wouldn't have to shell out £200 for Bose ones?

7. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Oh man, that demo just showed me something. Pretty soon you're going to be seeing a bunch of Youtube videos with that "stationary camera on a moving person" effect they use in music videos. It seems to do a great job of that.

8. simoneves macrumors member

That video doesn't demo the noise-cancelling at all!

He's holding the phone at arm's length so the amount of his voice (and ambient noise) is pretty much going to be the same in both mics. The noise-cancelling is only going to work with the phone held up to your face, so that the main (lower) mic is much closer to your mouth than the secondary (upper) mic.

9. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

It already is. Bose charge £200 because people are willing to pay it!

10. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

11. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Sounds pretty good and looks really awesome as well!

12. simoneves macrumors member

Not announced as such, but if the mics are electrically equivalent, and unless the noise-cancellation is being done in some dedicated hardware, maybe they'll allow CoreAudio to configure the mics as two separate inputs for stereo recording. That would be very cool.

EDIT: Having looked at the pics again, I'm prepared to be disappointed on this point, as although the two mics may be electrically equivalent internally, the secondary mic only has a tiny hole, so they will probably sound different and therefore not really be suitable for stereo recording. But hey, I'd rather have a clean mono recording than a bad stereo one.

13. simoneves macrumors member

Agreed. Even without the noise cancelling, it does sound good.

Even the 3G can manage some pretty clear audio recording, though. I've used Voice Memos (and a third-party app before that) for recording the music rehearsals for my theatre group, and even an actor for a voice-over effect, and it was perfectly usable. Not a patch on my Zoom H4n, but way better than some cheap digital dictaphones.

I just wonder what it's wind-noise reduction is going to be like. Ambient noise hitting both mics equally is one thing, but wind around your head while talking (or videoing) outside is likely to be different in each mic, and so not cancellable.

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Wind even messes up the noise cancelation on my Bose QC 15 headphones.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Active noise canceling is detrimental to high fidelity. You are much better off using IEM for passive noise canceling.