Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vette879

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
So I have seen some threads about macbooks making noise when you start it up, and I feel like they all reference just the 1-2 second buzz that i think happens on everyone's computer... Mine does it for probably about 15 - 20 seconds every time I turn my macbook on and every time it wakes up from sleep. My CD-Rom does not function whatsoever, and the sound seems to come from that area of the computer, so I am inclined to think it could be the source of the noise.

Anyone have any idea what is going on in there, its been driving me nuts? Thanks in advanced

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
My CD-Rom does not function whatsoever, and the sound seems to come from that area of the computer, so I am inclined to think it could be the source of the noise.

My mom's MacBook Pro recently had a similar problem, and her drive didn't work either. Turns out there was a tiny little iron nail stuck in the CD drive! Do you currently have a disc in there?

vette879

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Not to my knowledge. The cd rom hasn't been working for awhile and more recently (still a while ago) that sounds just keeps going longer and longer, but I guess a cd could be in there still... I should probably just bring into the apple store then to see if something else is in there too. Did your mom have to replace her CD rom after getting it out or was it ok after removing the screw?

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
I'm wondering what you mean by a "buzz". Any chance you could record it and post a link or something here? I had a weird sound at startup on my computer but it was more like a squeak. I recorded it in Photo Booth and you can listen to it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zlqtyt. It was annoying. Apple fixed it (sort of).

vette879

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I can see if i can find another way to record it, because it makes the noise as it is waking up/starting up so that program can't be opened in time to record it... but it makes random buzzing noise for maybe half a second then stops for a very small epriod of time then starts over in what seems like a random pattern but it really is the same every time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.