Noise & blank screen at power-up issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Igor', Mar 13, 2008.

1. Igor' macrumors newbie

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for the following:

My MacBook Pro has been with me from new for a year and a half. In the last six months sometimes when the power-up button is pressed the fan by the button makes a loud noise and the screen remains dark. The only way I can restart when this happens is by unplugging the powercord and taking out the battery. Sometimes this has to be repeated three or four times over before the computer starts normally. This also sometimes happens when the computer wakes up - dark screen/fan noise.

I have considered taking the notebook for repair - however being in Scotland in St Andrews I'm faced with letting go of it for around 14 days if I send it to one of Mac repair centres - I have nothing else to work on in the meantime. My uni & photography work depends on it -

Your suggestions will be much appreciated!

Igor' :apple:

2. Igor' thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mack90 macrumors newbie

macbook blank screen on powerup

I just joined this forum because when I typed the message title into google, the search led me here. Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    M

4. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Try resetting the "PRAM" and "SMC", which hold the values for settings in regards to power management and other system functionality. To do this:

1. Turn your MacBook Pro off.
    2. Remove the battery.
    3. Hold down the Power button for 5 to 10 seconds.
    4. Replace the battery.
    5. Press the power button and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R (so all four keys at the same time). Let your Mac chime two times, which will let you know that the PRAM has been reset.