Noise-Canceling Earbuds: Are They Worth It?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kwong2006, Nov 3, 2009.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

My Apple earphone finally kicked the bucket (after a few months :mad: ), and I am looking for a replacement.

I looked at some products from Altec Lansing, but then I discovered some active noise-canceling in-ear earphones. They are either made by Sony or Audio-Technica.

Are they worth it? I've been getting mixed messages with that.

2. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

They make a bunch, you may want to be more specific.

3. holyindian macrumors 6502

Try looking for reviews for NuForce NE-7M they are really good and... value for money.

4. lollicup macrumors regular

noise canceling ( active ) really only work for repetitive low pitched sounds ( like if you were standing next to a helicopter, in a train, etc)
    most of them require a battery, are bulky, and really are not worth the price in my opinion

Just get some quality in ear headphones. many of the good ones include foam ear tips that work just like earplugs and drone out most of the ambient sound anyways.

5. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking at the following:

Sony MDR-NC22
    Sony MDR-NC33
    Audio-Technica ATH-ANC3

Should I look at noise-isolating, or noise canceling?

6. sam100 macrumors newbie

Noise-canceling earbuds always seemed like a waste of money, to me. Usually, they act more like earplugs than anything else, and often don't deliver enough of a sound difference than less-expensive models to justify the price difference.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I prefer IEM's or just regular closed headphones.

I recently spoke with Matt Engstrom, the Category Manager of Monitoring Products for Shure. I asked him the same question I answered above about why one should prefer Shure over Bose (IEMs vs Noise-Cancelling), he gave a different response. Most importantly: sound is all subjective.
    I use Shure SE530s.

8. jim.lynch macrumors member

A +1 for In Ear Monitors

I use Westone 3 and have previously had Westone UM2. I think they are fantastic.

I have previously had Shure models. These were very good and their warranty cover was excellent, they replaced a damaged pair with a brand new set.

I keep my Westone 3 set in a soft pouch in my jeans pocket. Try doing that with Bose noise cancelling models (which I also have a pair of).