Noise Canceling Headphone Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theapplefreak, Nov 28, 2008.

1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

I need help finding a GOOD noise canceling headphones for a cheap price. I wanna try to have it under $100, so its pretty affordable. I don't want those $400 headphones.

If you guys have a good headphone you like, or recommend that is noise canceling, please tell me.
    Thanks

2. McShizzel macrumors regular

3. thefireboy macrumors member

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-E2c-n-S...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227959267&sr=8-2

These Shure E2cs are amazing had them for about a year and are so good and the sound its outstanding.
    I've had police cars go past me 20 ft away and i couldn't hear anything even with their sirens on.
    But after a year of being in my pocket and being knocked about, something in the Right earphone has come loose and the headphone crackles and turns on and off if its not in the right place or when i walk so keep the warrenty etc. But thats after a year and before then they have never let me down. Absolutly superb headphones for ipods or computers. Barign for $60

4. bk888 macrumors newbie

I'd recommend trying before you buy. Noise canceling headphones really do not work anywhere near as well as you might expect. I used to travel a fair amount for my company and purchased the Bose headphones for use on the airplane. The bottom line is that the combination of active and passive noise canceling reduces the airplane noise somewhat but things like crying babies and the whine from the engines are still easily heard.

There are additional drawbacks you need to consider. Noise canceling headphones use three things to reduce noise:

1. Noise isolation -- typically by using earbuds that seal your ear channel or by using ear cups that either cover your entire ear or cover the hearing channels. Your choice depends on what is most comfortable for you.

2. Passive noise cancellation -- this is the biggest issue people have. The headphones actually emit a soft hiss (white noise) to help cover up low-level sounds. In an totally silent room it will continue to output this hissing sound and there is typically no way to turn this off.

3. Active noise cancellation -- a microphone or set of microphones collect sounds around you and then attempts to cancel them out by transmitting the opposite wavelength to your ear. This requires you to have a good seal in/on/or over your ear. An imprecise seal really ruins the effect. Also, the frequency range of active noise cancellation is often very slender so as I describe above, crying babies, loud sounds, etc, are all easily audible.

If you hang out all day distracted by a computer server's fans or ongoing street noise, then headphones might be good for you. If you're trying to drown out loud people and loud sounds, it's unlikely you'll get the effect you want.

A good alternative would be noise-isolating earbuds that actually seal the channel to your ear. This allows you to listen to audio at much lower volumes than open headphones do and helps to block outside noise as well.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member