Noise Canceling Headphones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macdot, Sep 8, 2010.

1. macdot macrumors 6502

Can anyone suggest a really good pair of noise canceling headphones?

By default, I'm thinking the Bose QC15s (please, no one needs you to Bose bash), but Sony has a couple of offerings (ND500, ND60) that look interesting. Mainly, I'm looking for (1) comfort and (2) noise canceling. Not have really crappy sound is important, but I've never owned a pair of professional earbuds or anything, so I'm not expecting anything beyond "good" fidelity.

The ND500s are around Bose price (but you can find them cheaper, unlike Bose). Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I am also looking for a set... But I don't think I want sound canceling... I think I want Passive noise isolation... This article helped me figure out what is what. Maybe it will help you as well?

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/coofsoiseaan.html

3. KirkL macrumors 6502

Thanks for the article! I've been wondering if the Bose ones cancelled out people talking :)

FWIW I'm interested in (passive) nose isolation headphones too. Any tips?

4. Yvan256 macrumors 601

I've had quite a few active noise-cancelling headphones over the years (Sony, Philips, Altec Lansing) and a friend let me try his QC15.

The QC15 are the best I've tried, by a very large margin. There was a bunch of people talking in the next cubicle, I could barely hear them.

I went to the Apple store in Montreal and they had the QC15 for sale. If you live near an Apple store, maybe they have them too and maybe you could ask if there's a demo pair to try them out?