Other Noise cancellation for microphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidf18, Apr 11, 2018.

1. davidf18 macrumors member

The latest iPhones have 4 microphones, 1 for your voice and 3 to measure ambient noise and then using the input to cancel background noise.

If one uses the official Apple earphones with microphone, does it turn off the noise cancellation performed with the 3 microphones that measure ambient noise?

From simple experiments, I'm inclined to say yes -- that there is additional background noise when using the Apple earphones with microphone over using the iPhone without the earphone -- but I was wondering if someone knew for certain.

TIA

2. chabig macrumors 603

If you're not holding the phone against your face, using the built-in microphone and earpiece, no noise cancellation will occur. For the math to work out, the microphones need to be reasonably colocated.

3. davidf18 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I thought that perhaps the phone did not turn off the 3 ambient noise microphones when the official earphones with mic were plugged in.

An issue is that in a noisy environment, one has to choose between being better heard by others by using the handset or by having a better listening experience by using the earphones.