Noise coming from 2.16Ghz MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenmarered, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kenmarered macrumors newbie

I have a 2.16Ghz MBP which is a few years old. When it has been on for a while there is a quite audible noise (somewhere between a whir and a click) from the top right of the keyboard, near the power button.

I'm guessing this is either from the fan or the hard drive. Not knowing the internal layout of the machine, my guess is it's the hard drive. The noise goes away if I tilt the laptop to the left or right at a 40degree angle.

The computer performs perfectly but I don't want to ignore this sound if it's an indication of future problems.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas as to the problem / remedy.

Thanks

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Whirs and clicks are typical HD noises. But that's not where the HD is on any laptop I know of. They are usually up front somewhere infront of the keyboard in the palmrest area. I don't know the internals of that model...does it have two fans back there? I will google images...looks like there are two fans and one is right where you hear the noise.

ETA: [​IMG]

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Top right would be the fan. The 2.16GHz have two fans, located on left and right under the keyboard near the hinges.

The harddrive is in the left palmrest.

You could open it and clean and lubricate the fan, or change it.

Attached Files:

4. kenmarered thread starter macrumors newbie

You're absolutely right. great picture. I'll get it fixed.

The CPU temp is 78c right now. I have been downloading from itunes for a few hours (!) so the temperature does not seem to be affected to the point I need to stop using the machine.

Thanks for the rapid response.