Noise coming from Macbook Charger when Scrolling??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simber, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Simber macrumors newbie

Hey guys, after just getting my macbook fixed from staingate, I've noticed a new problem: when it is being charged from a power adapter, there is a static noise coming from the charger when im scrolling using the two fingers (im sitting at my desk and i can hear it in a quiet room, verrry noticeable when i put my ear on to it). When the macbook is unplugged and powered by battery, there is no noise.

Cause for concern? should i avoid using the charger? would this be replaced under warranty?

Regards, Simon

2. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

was the charger grounded properly?

3. Simber thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Simber thread starter macrumors newbie

So I've tried grounding it, and there is still noise coming from it.

Sometimes is disappears, but when the noise returns, it is louder when i scroll or do anything that requires the computer to compute something (e.g. close a tab on google chrome)

I've run a diagnostic test at the startup by pressing D, and said there were no problems...

5. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I know when I used Parallel and the charger wasn't grounded I could hear static noise, all disappeared once I used the longer adaptor but could it be the wiring in the building you're in? That's the only reason that I could think of. Before stopping by an Apple Store if one is nearby, try using the machine plugged in another building and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I would stop by an Apple Store and ask them about it.

6. Gav2k, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Just a note.

The charger is only 'grounded' when using the extension cable. It's not grounded when using the duck head.

This is likely just capacitor noise, which occurs with slight heat-generated vibration between the components of capacitors and circuit boards that are subjected to ac. Since ac switches direction at about 60Hz, you may hear a buzzing sound at about this frequency.