Noise coming from mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Carmy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Carmy macrumors member

Hi,

I really don't know if this is the right place to ask this, nor do i know if this is an appropriate question being the noob that I am.

i just got my MAC recently and I'm seriously paranoid about everything (why is the screen flickering when I scroll/how long should i charge it for/where the hell is my home and end button etc etc etc)

Every now and again I hear a teeny tiny noise coming from the top right hand corner of my mac book pro. I can't really describe the noise, it's not loud but it doesn't sound altogether that fine either. It's like a tiny little metal-ly sound mixed with how it would sound if it was reading a cd but it only lasts a split second. uhh i really don't know how to explain it but i sincerely hope you know what i mean. :eek:

I'm not using the cd drive or anything and i just wondered if anyone else has a noise like that or am i looking too much into things? my old Toshiba made noises all the time and i didn't bat an eyeline, go figure haha!

Thanks in advance,

Carmy

2. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I obsess over things like this too. I am trying to go by this new philosophy...

Based on the facts that:
    1) My Macbook Pro doesn't have anything to do with my income, and
    2) My Macbook Pro is under Applecare for 3 years, and
    3) My Macbook Pro is backed up with Time Machine

I will not worry about every little thing because I can just use until a problem clearly presents itself, and then travel to my local Apple Store. :)

EDIT:
    As for the sound, I cannot attest to what that is as I have not personally experienced it, and therefore have not researched it!

Are you using the Macbook Pro in your lap? I was having an odd "tink" sound come from my MBP when I placed pressure on the center of the bottom case by using the laptop on my chest in bed... I completely removed the bottom panel and reseated/rescrewed it on (I told you, I obsess) and I haven't heard the noise since. If you are using in your lap and shifting, that MIGHT be it... but it's a long shot seeing as I have no evidence to my problem actually being that, nor have you stated you are using the Macbook in your lap. ><

3. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Glad to see i'm not the only one thats like this, but you're quite right in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal - it's only a laptop....

Why do I have to press so hard for my caps lock button to turn on or am I imagining it? ;)

Nope, nope..i don't care, it's fine, it's normal.

:)

PS. Thanks, but no i only use it at my desk as Im paranoid (here we go again!) about damaging it in any way.

4. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Same here for the caps lock actually. I get a nagging worry every time I hit the caps lock and it DOESN'T register. haha. You aren't only one there, and therefore-- I wouldn't worry. :p

Don't sweat the small stuff! I know I do at times, but I try hard not to...

5. mmdc macrumors newbie

same here with my caps lock... ah! I mean, SAME HERE WITH MY CAPS LOCK! Your caps lock button is not the only one that is stubborn. Welcome to the club.

I also share the same concerns with the minor noise, screen flickering, and how long to charge it for... If these are our only complaints, then I think our MacBook Pros are doing a pretty good job!

6. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I leave my MBP plugged in for weeks at a time. haha. I should have just gotten a Mac Pro. haha. ><

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Could be the HDD scraping against something... I'm not trying to scare you...

8. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I am getting this too... though only in the last week or two. Mine lasts longer than a split-second, but definitely sounds like the CD drive even though there's nothing in there.

9. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that didn't scare me at all.........:rolleyes:

I have come to the conclusion that the mysterious noise definitely sounds like the optical drive is accessing data off a disk even though the drive is empty?!!

I think I'm gonna run down to the Apple shop tomorrow and bug them until they help me, that's why we have Apple care right.

But seriously, I have to stop reading this forum - last night I read some guy's thread on his MBP vibrating, then suddenly I noticed mine was vibrating slightly too. Paranoia at it's best.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Then you won't want to read the guy who got beef fat in his MBP... By the way, laptops are supposed to vibrate a bit :D

11. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

:D

I just thought I'd update this thread.

I went into Apple today and although the guy couldn't hear the exact noise I was hearing (no wonder as it was mega busy in there) he tested the cd/dvd drive and confirmed that there was a strange noise coming from it and although it works right now...it may malfunction at a later date.

So it's been sent away, for 15 days boo hoo!

I am so OCD about it that I took pictures of the entire MBP cover with todays newspaper (for the date) as proof that it's scratch-less at the time of me sending it away.

Plus I made the guy write on the form that I've only been using it for 4 days (although it's 6 weeks old = no replacement) and there are NO scratches on it whatsoever, as I've heard bad things about how your laptop can come back with scratches and dents, so I thought I'd prepare myself just in case.

Thanks for all your replies.

Carmy

12. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

I got my mac back 2 days ago and I have to say I almost went into the Apple Store with a magnifying glass to check for dents and scratches, but there wasn't a scratch on it, and they replaced my dvd drive thingy (techno-bimbo alert!) so there's no weird noise anymore. Hurrah.

So my advice to anyone is, if your Mac has to go in for repairs, get the person you deal with in the shop to check it for scratches and write a note on your receipt to say there aren't any, that way if it does come back in a worse condition than you sent it off, you have a leg to stand on and they'll replace the whole case for free.

:apple:

13. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

That's what I did last week. And it came back scratched, and I got a new lid.