Noise coming from my MacBook Alu

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lukas45, Dec 3, 2008.

1. lukas45 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I recently bought a new 2.4 Alu MacBook as my first Apple computer ever, so I am very new.. I like it very much but last week I realised that there is some "sound" coming from the left side of MacBook, I would describe it as a chirr maybe..? I thought it could be a fan, but this sound goes non stop and it does not have any connection with higher load of the processor or something like this.

Is it normal that I can hear that or should I go to the retailer and return it? thank you very much for your help.

2. lukas45 thread starter macrumors newbie

HDD making nonstop sound? I might be a picky, but my old HP's HDD was making sound when I was actually writing something to it and even this was more quiet than this annoying sound.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

If it's from the left side, then it's NOT the HDD. It could be the fan or maybe worse... If it comes from the bottom left it's the HDD. Bigger HDD tend to be a little noisier.

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Mine runs pretty much dead silent, except for the occasional HDD or DVD drive noise (which is still quite quiet).

If it's loud enough that you noticed it all the time ... take it to an Apple store.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No one except you have heard of this sound that you described. How do you expect us to tell you whether it is normal or not. Go to the store or a friend and listen to theirs to see if yours was abnormal.

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

the new alum macbook does have a sound every once and a while..esp when performing alot of tasks...all is norm...if its continous and loud..that is not normal....

7. lukas45 thread starter macrumors newbie

update: I used some program for controlling fan and if I put fan on max rpm, it was NOISY as hell... so I took it to the service place today (no Apple store in Czech rep, only authorized dealers) and they told me they have to test is to see what is wrong... Hope they will accept my warranty claim.. Let you know what was the problem as soon as I get it back from service place.

8. lukas45 thread starter macrumors newbie

2nd update: It was bad fan and it was replaced by service. Only thing that kinda sucked was that service did not have them on stock and it took 14 days to get it from Apple.. But Macbook is back home right now and it is silent as it should be!

9. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Congrats! Glad it all worked out for you. :D