"noise detector" software for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lars666, Oct 7, 2010.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody,

I'm searching for a program which uses my MacBook microphone to detect that somebody enters my room and saves the time of this event - so that I can see afterwards e.g.: "The person came in at 10:45 pm". I don't want to spy with my iSight (the green LED can't be turned off - otherwise, a single screenshot when somebody enters the room with the exact time would be a possibility, too ...), I just wanna know when somebody was there with no alarm sound and no possibility of this person to notice it. (At least not without sitting at my MacBook and looking for my running programs.)

I know this is a very special task and I don't get my hopes too high that such a program/feature exists, but if anybody has a clue, it would be nice if you could let me know. Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT: Mabye I should try to set a manual recording with a program like "Audacity" for the whole time so that I can see when coming back when the noise in the room started so that I can calculate the time myself? Could be a possibilty, I'll try this ...

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

Try Periscope. It has noise detection build in but I am not sure if the camera needs to be activated as well for it to run.

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi mmulin,

thanks for the answer and the help, really appreciated. Will check it out to see if this works for me.

EDIT: The Audacity way I described above seems to work for me. Thanks anyway for your help, I'll check out the program nevertheless!