Noise(fan) after HD upgrade in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Seraph., Nov 29, 2008.

1. .Seraph. macrumors newbie

I've recently upgraded my MBP2.2 drive with a 7200 320gb WDScorpio unit

Since then, the laptop has hummed(on desk) and the fan is on permanently.

Pressing on edge eliminates the hum.

Yet when the original drive is returned, those symptoms disappear.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Did you check if the fans are actually faster using iStat? You may just be hearing the hard disk motor. Some are louder than others.

3. .Seraph. thread starter macrumors newbie

Not checked fan speed yet, but will.

It's definitely the fan, without doubt.

But couldn't say the drive wasn't contributing too.

If it is the fan, and that IS the cause of the hum, it is not acceptable in any way.

4. MBPDiva macrumors regular

You said when you return the original HD all symptoms disappear. What does that tell you?

5. .Seraph. thread starter macrumors newbie

All that tells me, is that the original HD produces no noise. Nothing else.

The new drive has already been replaced twice. I'm not really prepared to accept the HD itself is faulty.

So what does it tell you?

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

You're not the first to have vibration and noise issues from that particular drive. I seems to be inherent to the design. The HDD doesn't have any bearing on the fan speed. It isn't going to run faster because the HDD is warmer. You can d/l a tool like iStat Pro to check the HDD temps yourself to see if there is a temp difference. You can also d/l an app like SMCFancontrol and bump your fan speeds up with the old drive to see if you can duplicate the vibration and noise. I doubt you'll see a temp difference and since you've already exchanged the drive before the chances of getting two duds is low. If everything checks you'll know the answer.

7. rickeames macrumors regular

It's the Drive

I did the same thing, and ended up with a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue and it's quieter. I don't know if another 7200 RPM drive would make the same amount of noise, but the black sure did for me (and many others).

8. .Seraph. thread starter macrumors newbie

Already done the istat checks, showing stable temps and correct fan speeds (oddly) at idle, yet the noise persists.
    Had no idea this might be inherent to this drive. But it can't explain how others have fitted it trouble free.:confused:
    Idea of fitting a Seagate is looking all the more appealing.