Noise from 2011 MacBook Pro (15") - HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shady Pioneer, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Shady Pioneer macrumors member

This is pissing me off now. I got my Pro on Friday with the 7200rpm 500GB HDD, and it was extremely quiet with just the whir of fans that could be heard. I've turned it on today at lunch time and all was fine, and now I've got it home, taken it out of sleep and there is what appears to be almost a clicking noise, which I can only imagine is the HDD?

Why is it doing this? It doesn't sound normal. I picked the MacBook up and moved it in different directions slightly and the pitch changed depending on where I place it.

Is this a fault?

2. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

I've tried disabling and re-abling to no avail. Not happy. :(

3. pctomac2011 macrumors member

How loud is it? I also have a new 15" 2011 model, and it makes a very slight click noise, but I'm sure i'm being hyper-paranoid, I have the 5400RPM model.

I'm also relatively new at Macs, and I do notice a slight ambient click noise when moving around my mouse at times, however it seems to be a background sound in Mac OS X, it is a bit strange and it's funny how I cannot recreate it..

TBH.. I've used many laptops, and this one is extremely quiet compared to literally all other models i've used, so I'm pretty confident it is being paranoid due to how quiet it usually is, we do not expect any sounds period

4. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

It's quite loud, I've never heard this kind of noise before, I've owned a MacBook before the Unibody models came out and the noisiest that got was when the fans kicked in.

I'm going to get Apple to sort this because I don't like it, plus I'm well within my 14 day return so I'll get another with a high res screen and leave the standard 5400rpm drive in, then get a Momentus XT or similar.

5. pctomac2011 macrumors member

Ya if it's quite loud I would def exchange it. The slight whirring of the 2000rpm fans is really all I hear, which is very minor.

Good luck!

6. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

That whirring was all I had until this evening, I hardly even noticed it in all honesty, but this noise is something else. Thank you. :)

7. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

Right, rang Apple and they are prioritising my new order and should be with my Friday (so they say). Collection of the current one will happy in the next couple of days.

Can't fault the service to be honest, I just want this damn clicking noise to go away. :(

8. Talfamadorian macrumors newbie

Does the noise sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuhLyxKjRo

I have an SSD so it's not that and my 2011 15" is making the same noise in the video but I don't want to try the solution yet because I'm not sure if it will void my warranty. The sound is pissing me the **** off!

9. Shady Pioneer thread starter macrumors member

It's definitely not that, although I can imagine that is a very annoying noise to have.

TNT collected my Pro today, now waiting on Apple to ship my new one, and they are now saying it won't be delivered until next week. :(