Noise from 5k iMac Late 2104

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dezza85, Oct 2, 2015.

1. dezza85 macrumors member

hi

I purchased a 5k iMac the other week which is complete overkill for my usage but I just loved the screen quality!

After a couple of weeks of using it its started to make a slight ticking/clicking noise whenever it's turned on, even if it's just booted into the desktop, this continues throughout the whole time it's turned on. Whereas when I got it it was completely silent.

It's got a fusion drive so not sure if it's going to be that drive or the fan, although my complete storage used so far is only 50gb. As an idea my most stressed use of the machine is prob YouTube as I only use it for general browsing and lots of excel for work.

Does anyone else's 5k iMac make any noise at all? I've read a lot saying its loud when under stress but that can't be the case for me as I'm sure excel and Safari doesn't cause it to stress?!

Thanks

2. Ipadilac macrumors member

Ipadilac

I have a late 2014 5k iMac also. but mine has SSD. I never hear any clicking noises at all from mine. I would bet that is what you are hearing is the fusion drive.