Noise from iMac when Air sleeps/wakes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BerGaur, Nov 16, 2012.

1. BerGaur, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

BerGaur macrumors regular

BerGaur

I don't have a problem with this, I am just curious as to what it is. I have an iMac and a MacBook Air. And I have Find My Mac in use on my Air and Back to My Mac turned on on both of them.
    The weird issue: When my Air goes to sleep my iMac makes a woosh sound. Then, when my Air wakes up my iMac makes a different woosh sound. It does this weather my iMac is awake or asleep; as if my Air just takes over control of my iMac's speakers. But when my iMac goes to sleep or wakes up, there is NO sound from my Air, weather it is awake or asleep.

------------edit------------

There are other times that appear more random where my iMac will do a woosh noise as well. Though, it is unmistakable that when I put my computer to sleep and wake it up two different wooshes are from those actions. But I would really like to know what the others are, and if there is a way to silence it, or at least know what causes them, so they can become predictable and I can make sure not to do whatever causes them when I am watching a movie or show on my iMac. Because it is mildly annoying when I am watching something and randomly I hear, "woosh" in the middle of my show.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If I find other things that cause it, and/or if I find the root cause, I will announce it in this thread.

2. BerGaur thread starter macrumors regular

BerGaur

On the Air now.

The noises just began to happen on my Air. I tested it again, when I put my iMac to sleep and wake it up it will now make the two woosh noises on my Air. It didn't start on my Air until after I started playing with Air Drop.

But I have tried a lot of things. Nothing seems to be connected to the random woosh noises, though my Air is making those too now.

If someone could give me a list of the reasons why one mac would cause another to make a noise like this, please let me know. I think it would be a lot more useful if I actually new why my macs were making these noises. And, as I said before, I would also like to disable it temporarily when I watch movies and shows.

3. BerGaur thread starter macrumors regular

BerGaur

Fount the Culprit

It is Messages, iMessage for Lion and Mountain Lion. It happens when a buddy becomes available or unavailable. And being that the Air is mine, and the iMac is my wife's, we are each other's buddies; so when my computer goes to sleep, I become unavailable, and when it wakes up, I become available, and vice versa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, there it is. If you are having this problem, just open Messages, and, in the menu bar, click on Messages > Preferences > Alerts, and use the Event: Drop Down Menu to edit "Buddy Becomes Available" and "Buddy Becomes Unavailable". Both "Buddy Logged In" and Buddy Logged Out" make woosh noises similar to that of something being removed from the dock.

Now I don't know why it took so long for me to start hearing it on my Air. It is probably a coincidence. For one, it is silenced a lot because I will use it in the library or computer lab, and when at home, it is closed most of the time...

Attached Files: