Noise from left speaker area

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

If I stick my ear down to the laptop I hear I high pitch noise coming from the left speaker area. Did the same on the right side and I hear nothing. Also, there is a bit of a whirring sound. This is really only noticeable if I stick my ear directly on the computer or within an inch or so. Is this normal or should it be a concern?

2. bengtc macrumors regular

I had that too, its a fan bearing that is loose causing the noise, call apple to get it fixed.

3. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

The high pitch or whirring was the problem? Could you only notice it when your ear was close or all the time?

4. ftbps macrumors member

I had a similar problem and I was frustated. Call teh local mac dealer and get an appointment with the genius. Tell him that the fans are making noise and you need them to be changes. If the part is not there, you will have to wait for 7 days to get the part. You can have your laptop with you at that time.

Then essentially they can change the fans in 1 day. Thanks, BPN

5. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Could you hear yours during normal CPU use? Or, was it only if you stuck your ear to the aluminum body?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If you need to put your ear to it to hear it, it's within spec and perfectly fine, don't bother getting it replaced. The reason you can't hear it on the right side is that there isn't a fan on that side, the other one is near the middle.

NOTICE: If you have an older MBP (non-unibody) there IS a fan in the same place on the right, but why you can't hear it is a mystery. It still isn't a cause for concern, the fans are going to make some noise. Just be glad you can't hear them in normal use, as some computer owners have to live with that sort of thing.

7. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

So, you have this issue as well? If i get within say an inch of the keyboard/speaker I can hear the buzzing sound on the left side. Yes, it is a unibody.

8. MBrolling macrumors member

I was reading this thread and thought, hmm i have the same thing but on the right side. Except mine I can hear anytime the fans are loud, such as a game running or something, and i have to push down right on the edge, a little bit under the power button, to make it stop. When I let go, it starts the noise again, and I usually end up finding something with some weight to put on that section while its like that so i dont get so annoyed. Btw from looking at the right side i can see the plastic part on the edge raised very slightly, I thought that that might have been the reason for that buzzing sound.

9. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah mine is only on the left side. It is fairly high pitched and only when i come within like 3 inches of the body. I'm not sure if I should take it in or this is normal?

10. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's not an "issue", it's physics. Computer chips get hot, and need fans. Fans are moving, and thus vibrate and make noise. Your machine is fine, the cooler is working exactly as it was designed to. Stop being so worried about it.

12. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

The high pitch noise? Im not concerned about the whir, its the high pitch noise that bothers/worries me.

13. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

I noticed that if I let the monitor turn off, so the hard disks are still on, it stops making this noise. Is this always going to be the case that there is a high pitched noise from the screen, or is this something that shouldn't happen? It's weird that it makes the sound from the left keyboard area even though the problem seems to be the screen.