Noise from MBPr 13-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taranis, Nov 12, 2012.

1. taranis macrumors newbie

I got the new 13 inch MBP retina.
    I've noticed when I'm in a quiet room and transferring files, I can hear a noise.
    It's like a softer/quieter version of a hard drive thrashing when transferring files.
    I have the 128gb SSD and as far as I know it should be silent.

Any idea what this noise could be?

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Fan?

3. taranis thread starter macrumors newbie

Could be but it doesn't sound like it.
    It's not a consistant sound, but more like that of a thrashing hard drive, where the noise changes, stops for a split second, continues, and sounds like some kind of mechanical moving part...

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Only moving part in that machine is the fan, so it's either the fan or you're hearing noises.

5. taranis, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

taranis thread starter macrumors newbie

I held the base of it up to my ear and can clearly hear this noise.
    I expect a fan to have the conventional whirring noise, right? Constant, hum-like?

So I can hear the fan like noise, its lower in tone. Then above that is the more high pitched, intermittant scratching like noise.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes. If its making odd noises, id get it checked out. Don't forget, there are 2 fans. So one might be producing the lower tone and the other might just be screwed up.

7. brentsg macrumors 68040

Sometimes SSDs and other components can emit some electrical noise. It's a bit different but my AEBS does this.

8. tadziak macrumors regular

It's the SSD buzzing or some controller on the motherboard. I had that on all mine rMBP 15'. I know that everybody will say that SSD has no moving parts etc etc. but it just emits noise. Try listening to it while "verifying disk permissions' in Disk Utility. It will be even more prominent.

9. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

10. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I used to have an HP laptop that would do this -loudly-. Anytime I was scrolling or using something graphics heavy like google earth it would emit a buzzing noise that wasn't the fan or the hard drive. I always thought it was the graphics card.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is maybe an intentional sound effect! :D U hear how people complain the Prius is too quiet?

12. jas07 macrumors regular

jas07

Spot on! :)