Noise in 27' LED Cinema Display image

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DELTAsnake, Apr 26, 2016.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I've noticed some noise in the image on my 6 year old 27' LED Cinema Display (the model that predate the Thunderbolt display). It manifest as noise in that is only 1 pixel row across but goes down the screen some way and there can be several lines at a time. I have confirmed it happens on my custom gaming desktop, my HP laptop and my 2013 iMac. Before I go arranging an out of warranty repair with my local Authorised Repairer (no local Apple Stores) (assuming the parts for it are even still available) is it possible for any external factors to be causing this like power? I ask because my 2013 iMac has an image retention issue that doesn't happen when the Apple Authorised Repairer looks at it in their store.

Thanks.

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I have the same display and same issue, but my eyes are not that picky anyway. So, I just leave it, if Apple didn't release anything new to replace it, I will go for the Dell 4K monitor after this one die.

I am now sure if it's power related, but I guess not. That line is very stable, usually the issue from low quality power supply is very unstable.

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Just some advice, if you do decide to take it in for repair check tonmakenaure they can still work on it. I called Apple three times and was told to bring my 24" in. Packed it up, drove the 1.25 hours, and hauled it down a mall only to be told it's considered obsolete and they can't touch it.

I tried an authorized repair place and, after giving them the serial number, was told the same thing.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

27" ACD is not on the Vintage / Obsolete list yet.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Nice! Get it fixed!

I know there are better options out there but for an all in one unit (USB hub, speakers, iSight, etc.) they're pretty good options.