Noise level of haptics

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by endoapple, Apr 24, 2015.

1. endoapple macrumors newbie

I've enjoyed my 6+, but the vibrate feature isn't very silent. I've been hoping that I can completely silence alerts on the phone once the watch arrives (next week?) and am wondering how audible, if at all, the haptic feedback is on the watch?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You should not be able to hear it unless you put your watch to your ear.

3. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

4. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

5. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Should not or cannot?

6. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

It's been reported that people next to you can't tell you're getting a notification. Those of us with new watches will report soon.. :)

7. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

This is EXACTLY what I've been hoping for, and one of the main reasons for trying to wake up at 2:55AM. Damn you fitbit silent alarm for not sending an electric shock into me! Anyway.

I will permanently turn off the vibration on my 6. It's louder than some of the ringtones. Especially when it's lying on my wooden desk at work. Oy.

8. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

I've got my watch mostly set up, and the basic tap, there's no sound at all (at least that I can hear... perhaps in a library you could? Need more reports...). There's also a 'prominent' haptic setting for 'common alerts'.

I can see why some reviewers said this may not be the thing for those who 'pick up an iPhone and go'. The settings and options, are, to quote a classic phrase, legion.

Even the user's guide online at Apple (see the MR front page story) is long, for an Apple one. :)

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

SHOULD not. As I stated.

10. endoapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments. I look forward to trying it myself in the near future!

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

There is a setting that controls how loud the haptics are. I can't hear it at lowest level.

12. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I too have a 6+ and the vibrate was very noisy on that too.

Pleased to report the Watch's haptics are extremely quiet. If you put your ear right up to your watch, you'll slightly hear it; but in most situations no-one but you will know it's working.

13. Mildredop macrumors 68020

So are there people saying they can hear it if it's not up to there ear and claiming there's a fault?

14. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

I was actually pretty disappointed with the haptics. To me it doesn't feel at all like a tap on the wrist, more like a tiny vibrate.

I still think it works well, but it's not what I was expecting

15. shenfrey macrumors 68000

It does feel like a tap on the wrist, perhaps yours is defected? I have been hearing many reports of faulty tapctic engines.

16. tomaustin44 macrumors regular

I think its too early to jump to conclusions of them being 'faulty'. I agree that the haptic feedback isn't living up to expectations. For me the 'tap' that comes through from a message notification is tiny despite being on the highest setting. Senior Apple figures have talked a lot about the work thats gone into making each tap different to suit the notification type but to be honest I can't tell the difference.

HOWEVER... digital touch notifications such as the heart beat are very strong indeed so I don't believe there is a fault with mine personally. And Force touch haptics are strong.

17. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

No mine feels like it did in the shops so I don't think it's faulty

18. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Noise level of haptics

Then what's the problem? You knew what to expect if it's the same as what you felt in the shop. It is very subtle, you can adjust the sensitivity in the settings menu.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You have to read these posts just like me. You will, of course, get all kinds of opinions. My black SS will not be here for weeks. I am looking and reading just like you.

20. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

The haptics are subtle (I've turned on the Prominent Haptic to help), but so far I can feel them so they're doing their job. I haven't been in a noisy/active environment yet though, so that remains to be seen.

To me, it doesn't feel like a 'tap on the wrist' - it does feel like it did in the store, which is, a more refined and 'nuanced' (Apple speak), near-silent vibration. Overall, I'm happy, but for those expecting an explicit 'tap', some - not all - may be disappointed.

21. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

I needed to turn on Prominet Haptic to ensure I felt all notifications.

22. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Ah, makes sense now. I assumed your reply was from personal experience, not simply repeating stuff you've read online.

23. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

I merely said I was disappointed with it. I was in the shop. I still think it's good, but it doesn't feel like what I expected. No big deal.