Noise level with 7200 rpm stock drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgp78, Mar 27, 2011.

1. pgp78 macrumors newbie

Have any of you ordered a 2011 MBP with the 7200 rpm drive? If so, I would appreciate if you could comment on the drive is audible while idle or if it the drive is louder than the fans.

Thanks

2. mox123 macrumors 6502

i have the 500GB 7200rpm from the 2010 version....no sound whatsoever in a quiet room

3. pgp78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I'm a fellow Chicagoan. I see you have the high-res display. Is it easy on the eyes?

I'm going to order a BTO machine and will probably go with the 7200 rpm drive, but I'm concerned the high res display might cause eyestrain since I spend 10-12 hours a day on the computer doing software development.

4. mox123 macrumors 6502

howdie fellow city dweller :)

getting high-res was a must for me, as I work in front of my machine 12-15 hours a day too. I program in Matlab/mathematica/excel and use photoshop/ illustrator/dreamweaver and LaTeX most of the times. For me, I need something portable and yet can display two document-sized windows side-by- side at the very minimum when I multi-task.

One thing though, my eyes tire easily when I work in Windows 7 under bootcamp. though I chalk it up to the way windows rasterizes fonts rather than pixel density.

5. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

I have the 7200RPM 500GB drive on my 2.0 GHz 15" MBP. Mine has been very quiet, no noticeable noise.

6. Verix macrumors regular

7. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

Well, not the one in my MBP. So far it's been quiet *and* smooth, with no detectable vibrations. Mine came with the Hitachi 7200 RPM, which I think is the most common one Apple installs.

I know there have been reports of noise and vibration with the 7200 RPM drives, but it's not universal. At least some are quiet and smooth.