Noise on bottom case when pressure is applied

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspired, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

When I apply pressure on the bottom case of my MBP(underneath the trackpad), I hear a click. Is this normal? I am currently using the current MBP13'. What is under there? Am I damaging anything?

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Completely normal. It is a component that is designed to hold the logic board in place supposedly. If you want you can take it out. Its in the middle and has two lil metal pieces sticking up. hahaha Sorry I'm too lazy to look for the real directions.

3. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks, so basically the clicking noise is due to that component? Can anyone back up this claim? I just want to check with more people.

4. ccashman92 macrumors regular

5. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

actually no, that's not the sound. I've done some research and have run across that video actually. It's more like just ONE click when i apply pressure. Thanks though.

6. ccashman92 macrumors regular

But is that the click? Mine only does it once. This guy kept putting pressure on it over and over so he could record it.

7. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

no, it's a different sound, it sounds more like when you click on the trackpad, except it's coming from the bottom case.

8. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Could be the Hard Drive Sudden Motion Censor. Are you under warranty? Might as well take it to Apple to get looked at.

9. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

@ apple store, Spoke with an Apple Genius earlier, they said the sound is normal, FML

10. ccashman92 macrumors regular

If it isn't that glassy click, it isn't normal. Try taking the piece out if you are brave enough to open up your baby. See if that does anything. If not put it back in and take it to a different Genius. See what he says; just like any doctor, get a second opinion.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

12. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Nah, I think I'm fine, I dont entirely think it's THAT bad that it annoys me. But thanks for being by my side in the forums throughout the process.

I feel you man, we spend a lot on these machines and we deserve the absolute best. Apple needs reminder from time to time that if it's not for us consumers it would not be where it is today.