Noise or Interference in TV Picture (Plasma)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by zone23, Oct 31, 2015.

1. zone23 macrumors 68000

So like some of you just got a new Apple TV today and so far its been fun. I have a tiny issue on my Samsung Plasma with noise or interference on the screen. I was wondering if anyone else has had or seen this? I connected the Apple TV to my LED in the man cave and it seems fine. Ultimately its going to stay connected to the LED but if I ever get one for the living room it doesn't look too good. See attached images. Do you think a software update could correct the plasma picture?

Plasma

[​IMG]

LED
    [​IMG]

2. tlaw81 macrumors member

Same thing on our Samsung plasma. I thought it was just an optical illusion. Glad it's not just me and that I wasn't just seeing things :)

3. zone23 thread starter macrumors 68000

Like I say it works fine on the LED. I played with the resolutions and stuff and really didn't help at all. At least we have each other :).

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

interesting. I have an OLED (also an emissive display) and do not have that problem.

Do you notice it on actual content? If not, it could just be uniformity issues with the set that only show on the all white background.

5. Gueeds macrumors member

I have a plasma but don't have this issue, white and plasmas don't go hand and hand though, wish they kept black for the color theme or give us the option.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed. I just think it is a uniformity issue with the OP's TV, but it does not show during normal content. Honestly, most people have LCDs, so the all white makes sense.

7. big samm macrumors 65816

I also have a plasma from panasonic and don't have this particular problem...

8. Gueeds macrumors member

Mine is also a Panny for the record.

9. zone23 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah when playing games or other video it looks fine but the main screen and the search area looks bad. I tried two different HDMI cables and connected directly to the TV none of which helped.

10. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Also have a panasonic Plasma and no issues.

11. zone23 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I guess thats what I get for buying a Samsung.

12. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

or apple... you are "guessing"...
    Does it work fine with ATV 3? if so, its going to be an issue with the 4...!!!

13. Gueeds macrumors member

Can't test it with the ATV3, it doesn't have the same menus. He tested on another TV and it was fine.

14. zone23 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes my Apple TV 3 works fine was not an issue. How am I guessing?

15. Poder macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Not sure if it is the exact same issue, but on my 2009 SAMSUNG LED TV I can see blotchy patches on the interface menus of my new ATV4 (like big pixel aggregates). This does not show up anywhere else apart for the UI menus. I have restored the Apple TV but to no avail. My ATV2 does not show this problem.

Any idea ? HDMI incompatibility ?

Thanks.

16. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

So its the ATV4, then not the TV...

17. larryj macrumors member

I have a 64" Samsung plasma but I don't have this issue. Could distance between the ATV and the plasma be a factor? My ATV is in a cabinet maybe a foot under the TV.

18. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

19. radiologyman macrumors 6502

I got an oled tv and atv4 main screen looks bad, with jacked up contrast and non uniform screen. It's perfect when I play videos or have screen saver on, so I will just use it for air play for now. Hopefully a dark theme comes soon

20. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

A dark theme would be nice. I have no issues displaying the white menu screens on my Panasonic plasma, but I get a horrible whining sound on all white screens. I know it's the nature of plamas, but it's annoying.