Noise when waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cwheatley, Feb 6, 2008.

1. cwheatley macrumors member

It isn't this way with mine but...

One of my friends just got her first MacBook (woo!). I was getting ready to leave class and thought her laptop was mine (they were sitting right next to each other... we had actually just finished laughing about the possibility of accidentally switching), and when I opened the lid, the hard drive sounded like a freaking jet engine. It was so loud that at first I thought the superdrive was trying to eject something.

Is this normal? It just sounds a little odd to me, because mine is completely silent, and we have the same model (got mine in early december)...

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

It's not the hard drive. It's the optical drive. I'm not sure exactly why it makes that sound when waking from sleep. My guess would be that it's checking for any discs when it wakes up. Basically, you just have to deal with it.

And I have no idea why yours is silent when you wake it from sleep. Are you sure you're actually waking it from sleep and not just waking up the display?

3. cwheatley thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm positive. (I just checked myself by actually telling it to go to sleep as opposed to just closing the lid)

I guess it was the superdrive... I would have checked again, but class was over, and I was running late for lessons.

Anyway, if this is a defect on MY side, it's actually rather welcome. I HATE that noise.