noise while scrolling web pages

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1mac, Dec 25, 2010.

1. 1mac macrumors newbie

hello all, i am a newbie with mac laptops. i have a macbook pro 15, core2 duo, 4 gigs of ram. i received this as a gift 2 months ago.

i noticed whenever i scroll up/down a web page or in itunes i notice a static noise coming from the top left corner. (its either coming from the magsafe adapter or ethernet )

the noise also lessens when i run photo booth in the background

i tried to read up on it and i was left asking more questions than i started with.

is this a common issue? can it get worse in the long run? because i am sure this lappy is no longer under apple care.

any thoughts?

2. 1mac thread starter macrumors newbie

no ideas???? i wonder if its a faulty logic board? i am honestly not willing to spend 800 on a board i might as well buy a macbook... any suggestions ?

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

The original MacBook Pros sometimes made noise, IIRC.

If you click on the Apple in the top-left corner > About this Mac > More Info..., the System Profiler app should open to the Hardware Overview: screen.

What's the Model Identifier for your MBP?

Also, do you have an Apple Store nearby? The Genius Bar will diagnose any problem for free, regardless of the warranty status.

5. 1mac, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

1mac thread starter macrumors newbie

when scrolling web pages (on all browsers), its also apparent in itunes also when maximizing and minimizing web pages

6. 1mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4

theres no apple store in the caribbean. i hope its not a super expensive problem, and that i may be able to solve it with some help from you guys

7. 1mac thread starter macrumors newbie

8. amarcus macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the sound is only when your macbook pro is plugged in and charging, am I right? It sounds to me like your experiencing whats known as a ground loop hum.

Adam

9. 1mac thread starter macrumors newbie

well its slightly more quiet when the plug is in, is there a way to solve this?