Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martymar112, Jan 18, 2013.

1. martymar112 macrumors member

Help! I have a weird noise coming from the left side of my MBP. It sounds like the fan not wanting keep going. Does anyone know what this could be?

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you record the sound via QuickTime Player > New Audio Recording and attach it to your next post as a ZIP file?

3. martymar112 thread starter macrumors member

here is the sound

let me know if this helps. thanks

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

Yep, sounds like the fan(s) on some drugs. Have you cleaned the fan(s) recently? Would you be able to do so yourself via the guides on iFixIt and the appropriate tools, depending on what MacBook Pro you have?
    Do you still have warranty?

5. martymar112 thread starter macrumors member

I don't not think still have a warranty. It's a 2010 MBP and I just moved over seas to Italy so I might try to do it on my own. I never used that web site but looks easy to follow. I am hoping its something in my fan I have never clean it or anything and its been it afghanstand and back. Thanks for the help.

6. simsaladimbamba

The fan can only be switched off by shutting down or sleeping the Mac, or by removing the fan connector from the logic board.

The idle speed of the fan is 2000 RPM (it is also the lowest speed, +/- a few RPMS) and the maximum speed is 6000 RPM.