noisy drive with AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hotshotharry, Oct 22, 2007.

1. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a noisy drive attached to AEBS.

The sounds are like hard clicking and and stuff, just ddoesn't sound like it should!!! especially when i am trying to put files to it, not so much when i am taking files from it. When i hook it into my macbook everything is fine, it sounds like it should. anyone have any idea whats going on? this drive is a seagate barracuda with 3rd party sata 2 drive enclosure. I also have a wd drive in an identical enclosure but doesnt sound anything like the seagate, its almost perfectly quiet!!!

i wonder if its a bad drive, however its been running fine for a week or so now. maybe the seagates just sound a little rougher?

2. vtecyo macrumors newbie

maybe the your AEBS does not have sufficient power to fully power up your harddrive i guess. thats why you could hear the click sound. one of my external hard drive does that too. i could be wrong.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Related to vtecyo's post, is it USB-powered or does it use its own power supply?

4. vtecyo macrumors newbie

sorry, off topic. but it's nice to see someone from "The land of the long white cloud".

5. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a powered external enclosure. and it is running though a powered usb hub, i tired connecting the drive withought the hub but there doesnt seem to be any difference.

Ultimately i am not worried abou tit if its not doing any damage!! but if it just a matter of time .... i mean it doesnt sound like those would be good noises to make lol!!! but it only does it when its connected to AEBS if i plug it in to the laptop directly its great, might even be faster tan the wd drive !!!

6. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

this is from seagates site

Hard drives will make noise during normal use. The level and type of noise may change depending on the function the drive is performing. Users must be able to distinguish normal noises from detrimental, abnormal noises.

Normal sounds include:

Whining noise during drive spin-up.

Regular clicking or tapping sounds during drive access.

Hard clicks when the drive heads park.

Abnormal noises include:

High-pitched whining sound can be an indication of abnormal function.

Noises can be caused by mounting issues. This is due to either a high frequency vibration in the mounting hardware, or a potential drive failure.

Repeated, regular tapping, grinding or beeping.

Seagate and Maxtor hard drives do not contain audio speakers. Some failure mechanisms may make a regular repeating beep from the computer's internal speaker. This may or not be hard drive related. Check your system documentation for an explanation of system beep codes. If a drive failure is possible, it is always important to make an immediate backup.

i wonder if the drive is parking and unparking the head repeatedly?

its seem that they are only concerned about grinding noises or noises associated to bad drive bearings when it is spinning....