noisy dvd burners!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sejanus, Aug 4, 2009.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

hey guys

just wondering if my box is a bit odd - I have 2 x dvd burners installed and each one is just insanely noisy - sounds like a plane about to take off.

Is this just the way they are or is there something wrong?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yep... But I think the shear weight of the MacPro's are keeping it grounded. It seems the faster i set mine to burn the louder the thing gets; guess it doesn't help when the front of the case of holy, err.. holey.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Lower burning speed=less disc rotation=less noise? Does this seem right? Not trying to be smart, but I would think faster burn speed requires faster rotation.

As for the noise problem; to check if it is the case, simply swap the drives. If the one remains crazy-noisy, then its the drive. If the other drive becomes crazy-noisy, the drive is resonating with the case to produce a louder noise then it usually would.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The entire system purrs like a kitten when it's not burning something...:)

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Of course that's correct. :p

You can hear the various speeds and related noise levels directly.

The Mac Pro case is too heavily walled to produce much resonance. The noise directly emanates from the front of the drive out of the cheese grater mesh front of the MP.

We can copy the engineering moves of the Pioneer DVR-A16J-SV (not currently available in the west) and reduce the noise by about half with just some very simple modifications.

1st, use a double layer of electrical tape to cover all holes and case seams.
    2nd, add o-ring sealing to the inside of the front bezel. In place of this if you don't have or can't find an o-ring that large, again use multiple layers of electrical tape so that when the drawer closes it creates a dust and noise seal.

This is all Pioneer did and the drive is VERY VERY quiet! Well they also engineered a more stable spindle which probably helps too.

If you use tape on the front inside the bezel, you might have to split the tape lengths down the middle (so they fit on both sides [above and below the trey shelf]) and make sure not to overlap the ends.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Or you could go into business, and sell them to all the MR members that want one. :p

7. Zokim macrumors member

I bought both the samsung and pioneer from here: (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/superdrive/Mac_Pro_Xeon) to replace my buggy stock drives which were giving me medium write errors for DL disks.

I spoke with a sales rep to recommend a drive and he told me that people call specifically for the Pioneer. Since I wanted Lightscribe, I opted to try both, and to my surprise, the Samsung is almost silent compared to the Pioneer which is very very noisy.

Looks like I'll be replacing the Pioneer with another Samsung.

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I took a look at lightscribe and thought it was a total joke. It's ugly as cuss, it takes 30 min. or MORE to do one disk, and you need $pecial media.

[​IMG]

Printable discs are abundant and cheap. I don't think I've seen any DVD or CD media I wanted to buy that wasn't a printable surface. The results are beautiful and they take only 30 seconds per disc to produce.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Just my opinion but LightScribe is an extremely lame idea.