Noisy DVD drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bru90, May 3, 2014.

1. Bru90 macrumors newbie

As the title says. My DVD drive on my g4 mdd is quite noisy/rattles when being used.

Quietens down when I touch the case firmly in certain places so I guess something is loose??

Not sure where to look or what to tighten? Or does the drive need replacing ??

If so- what do I replace it with ??

Some help would be appreciated as watching DVDs is becoming difficult :(

Thanks in advance

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This depends on if the drive is loose and vibrating or parts in the drive are loose.

Open the side door and on the inside there you will see a screw attaching the drive bracket to the lower hard drive bracket. Remove it and slide the DVD drive bracket back towards the PSU and gently out of the case.

There should be four screws attaching the drive to the cage bracket. If not, I believe there are spares on the back of the drive cage you removed. Tighten them until they show resistance to turning. Then reinsert the cage, replace the screw, and start your Mac.

If it is internal DVD drive parts vibrating, then any ATA DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drive would work fine.

3. Bru90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked a treat. Turned out a screw was missing !
    Thanks for the help- it's as quiet as a mouse now!!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem! When you said that applying pressure to the case silenced it I figured it was the case.