Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfleischman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
It's really loud when burning, and when it settles down it sounds like its vibrating. I held it in place with my hand while spinning and there is no difference. It has no operational issues, but the sucker is loud! Any one else’s drive making a ruckus?

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
It's really loud when burning, and when it settles down it sounds like its vibrating. I held it in place with my hand while spinning and there is no difference. It has no operational issues, but the sucker is loud! Any one else’s drive making a ruckus?

Most DVD burners these days make appreciable noise...

That is ONE of the reasons that the drives in the iMac are so quiet... much much slower at just about everything.

I took a DVD/CDRW combo drive out of an old PC I used to have simply because it's one of the fastest ripping drives I've ever seen.

Sounds like a jet at takeoff.

SilverL

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008

You are not the only one.
The only things I hear from my MacPro are my Superdrive and my external FireWire Drive for TimeMachine.
The Machine itself is just about dead silent which makes these noisy components even more annoying.

thxdave

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Florida
I've found that if the disk is the slightest bit out of round (or off-center) it will shake and make noise like crazy. The first DVD I watched in my '08 MP made a fair bit of noise but the second disk I loaded spun up and ran a fair bit quieter. Apart from that, this thing is dead silent and I'm loving the quiet! ;)

tobrien24

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Adelaide
Even importing...

yeah my drive is really loud, even when importing a CD. It'll import the first two songs on the CD dead silent, but as it's finishing the second one it starts rattling like mad and sounds like it will rip itself apart, I wonder if it is doing any damage...

docseuss68

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Have been getting concerned over the noise the DVD drive makes. At start-up, any disk in the drive (DVD/CD) makes a loud vibrating noise for 1-2 minutes with an almost constant noise during disk activity. Surprising to have a noisy component in an otherwise silent machine. Have owned much cheaper machines with much quieter DVDr drives. What's up with that?

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the most annoying SuperDrive. Good luck watching a movie in your mac pro if the tower is anywhere near your head. I installed a Samsung DVD burner (what a pain in the @$$ that was!), and it runs so much quieter than my Superdrive. Oh and BTW, my super drive is the Sony/NEC one, not pioneer.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
You are not the only one.
The only things I hear from my MacPro are my Superdrive and my external FireWire Drive for TimeMachine.
The Machine itself is just about dead silent which makes these noisy components even more annoying.

I completely agree, my 1TB LaCie external is awful, i have to keep it turned off.

jason999

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Most DVD burners these days make appreciable noise...

That is ONE of the reasons that the drives in the iMac are so quiet... much much slower at just about everything.

I took a DVD/CDRW combo drive out of an old PC I used to have simply because it's one of the fastest ripping drives I've ever seen.

Sounds like a jet at takeoff.

Do not use a Mac for dvd burning, period.
If you do not mind drink coasters use the Mac.

Macs make horrible noises when burning. Wish they stuck with pioneer drives which are dead quiet when burning unlike liteon, lg, and sony.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I just burnt two discs today, both came out perfectly fine. I've burnt hundreds before, they all came out fine. Don't know what bad experience you had that turned you off to burning DVDs/CDs on a Mac.

jason999

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
I've been burning DVDs on my Mac for years and it works just fine. I have an external Pioneer DVD-RW drive.

Pioneer drives work well with Macs, however Mac stopped using Pioneer drives some time ago for other brands which are no where near as good and make these horrible sounds when burning.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Mines an Optiarc and works perfectly :)

It's a bit loud at full rpm, but just about everything, burning, ripping movies etc. cause the drive to spin the disk at a much lower rpm making it barely noticeable over the low humm of the rest of the system, installing software when i first got the machine was a rather loud experience though :D

As to macs being unreliable for burning... :eek: I've been using macs to burn disks since my 4X burner was rockin on SCSI, i've only managed to create 2 coasters

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Do not use a Mac for dvd burning, period.
If you do not mind drink coasters use the Mac.

Macs make horrible noises when burning. Wish they stuck with pioneer drives which are dead quiet when burning unlike liteon, lg, and sony.

Don't forget Panasonic ;)

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Pioneer drives work well with Macs, however Mac stopped using Pioneer drives some time ago for other brands which are no where near as good and make these horrible sounds when burning.
Apple did a DIY replacement on the Optiarc that came with my 2008 MP because it wouldn't even burn CDs. It was also the noisiest optical drive I've ever owned. They sent me a Pioneer 112D which is quiet and burns everything just fine. It even writes consistently to Office Depot branded CD-R blanks I bought 2 years ago, and to Maxell, Sony and Verbatim DVD-Rs.

I suspect that Optiarc has some quality control problems because most of the noise and burn failure complaints I've read concern their drives. Also, when I called AppleCare about the Optiarc they spent zero time attempting to isolate the problem. They immediately handed me off to a second-tier tech who only asked: "where do you want the DIY shipped to?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.