Noisy fan won't turn off in MacBookAir 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tom-on-the-run, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Tom-on-the-run macrumors newbie

I have Early 2015 MacBook Air 13
    macOS Seirra 10.12.6
    Processor: 1.6 GHz Itel Core i5
    4GB if Memore 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 60000 1536MB

I've done every known reset out there to fix this fan noise issue and my system app functions slows down too. I've tried the following.
    1. SMC reset
    2. Zap PRAM
    It will quiet the fan initially but you can hear it increase to full speed shortly after I reboot my MacBook.

I sure don't want to take to Apple and spend a grand to get it fixed. That's what I've been quoted. I've exhausted Activity Monitor to see what has been eating up my memory to cause this overheating. There is nothing significant eating up memory.

My next step is to uninstall Flash in Safari. Hopefully that will fix this. If there is anyone with suggestions please advise. That fan is driving me crazy!

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Have you checked for dust inside or blocked air vents? Was the MacBook exposed to moisture or liquids?

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Install MacsFanControl and monitor the temperatures.

If the temperatures are high, then the fans are just trying to do their job and either there is a problem with cooling (blocked vents, dust accumulation, heatsink coming loose, thermal paste drying, etc) which you will need to deal with, or there is a runaway process that's just generating a lot of heat which you will need to resolve.

If the temperatures are not high, then the fans are running away for some reason and you can manually change the fan profile to calm them down.

4. MiniMoney, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017

MiniMoney macrumors newbie

You said you are using Activity Monitor to see what's eating up memory. When my fan is going nonstop, I check the CPU tab in Activity Monitor and check to see what's using the most % of the CPU. Killing a process with 95% or more CPU usage usually does the trick for me. Although they can affect each other, it seems to me that it's high CPU usage, not high memory usage, that causes the chip to heat up and run the fan constantly.

P.S.
    Of course killing the process won't stop the fan instantly. You'll need to wait a couple of minutes to give the fan the chance to cool down the chip.

5. madgibbon macrumors regular

As MiniMoney stated you need to check CPU usage. In the OP you stated "my system app functions slows down too" this indicates to me something is causing high CPU load. This would cause your MacBook to slow down and the fans speed up.