Noisy fans on 2yo MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omgahitskasey, Nov 16, 2008.

1. omgahitskasey macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've just come to realize that the source of my rapid battery drainage is my 6000 rpm fans going constantly.

I have downloaded SMCfancontrol and Fan Control to no avail, and had my battery replaced once by Apple.

My fans are always on top speed unless the battery is removed from the computer, the computer is asleep, or obviously if the computer is off.

I've viewed my Activity monitor, and nothing seems to be hogging much CPU.
    I've also reset the PMU by trying both the shift control power option (did not do anything but turn the computer back on) and also by holding down the power button for five seconds while the battery and Power Adapter were removed.

The only time the computer seems to run normally is when the power adapter is on, and the batery is removed. Otherwise, the fans are roaring and the temperature averages out at 165 degrees Fahrenheit with very little running.

Can anyone offer any advice or should I just bring it in to the :apple: store?

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

is the 165 ambient or CPU?

3. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Are you looking at "All Processes" or just "My Processes" in Activity Monitor? Make sure you're looking at "All Processes" and sorting by CPU.

This really sounds like something is hogging your processor.

The reason you don't have fans on when the battery is removed is because the processor is limited to half speed when the battery is removed

4. omgahitskasey thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh my god, I think the CPU thing did it. I had norton autoprotect hogging 98 CPU. Thank you thank you thank you!