Noisy Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordanf1end, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jordanf1end macrumors newbie

sup everyone? I'm noticing now that whenever i watch something on a streaming website or even a movie on my macbook within 30 mins my fans get real loud. Is this normal? It sounds as if they are working are too hard. I do have a speck case on my mac as well, could it be causing the mac to overheat? i've had it on for almost a year now so i couldn't imagine it to be the case.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The speck case doesn't help but it rarly is the cause for too much heat. It is more that cooling down takes a lot longer.

After a while dirt just makes the cooling slightly more inefficient. Flash just needs some cpu and it will make your system run hot in any case.
    If the GPU acceleration of Flash doesn't work properly it can be worse than it should be but you usually don't have to do anything about it.
    There isn't really much else you can do. Force the integrated GPU for everything and/or don't watch Flash videos or at least only open one at a time (those in the back create a lot of load too).

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Make sure you are using the very latest version of Flash it may help considerably.

4. aCondor macrumors 6502

If it becomes a real problem, download Click to Flash here to make HTML5 the default video. I use it and it works quite well.

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

if your computer was actually overheating, it would shut down. Otherwise, it sounds normal for the fans to be running whenever you're using Flash because, quite frankly, it's a piece of junk resource hog.

Without temps or fan speeds we can't really tell you anything else.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Most likely it's normal.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.