Noisy G5 powermac HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Knapps001, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Knapps001 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a G5 Powermac 2nd hand for 2 or 3 years now and i noticed its really noisy. the sounds coming from it i assume only the fans can make and its really annoying. it drives me crazy when nothing else is on it my room its like its taunting me or tryna tell me somethings wrong with it. Not only is it annoying but it also going to hinder my plans to start recording vocals for my music since i'm pretty sure the mic is gonna pick it up. the fans aren't even on full blast there just loud. What's goin on here, what should i do?

2. mheidt macrumors member

That's the way it is.
    I used mine as DVR...it got the nickname "starting airplane"

Now I'm using a mini....far better :)

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Sell it, by a mac mini, which is faster, and buy a beer or 500 with the change :)

4. Knapps001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?!:( I mean, I didn't pay full price for mine; but I find it hard to believe that such an expensive Computer is just naturally that loud.:confused:

5. smokestack macrumors member

if it really is the fans, open up the case and check to see if they are caked with dust. if yes, vacuum them off. (is this possible with G5?)
    if not.... give them a drop of oil.

those are the easy fixes i can think of.

6. Knapps001 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that a couple weeks back. but I don't know how to get to the cpu fans they're encased in this huge heat sink. but what i did clean didn't seem to help much and the sound just changed a bit; it's more whiny now. Maybe the oil idea will help. what kind should i use?

7. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

I had a second hand G5 and one of the cpu fans was very loud, I installed istat and found it was spinning at 3000rpm where the other was only spinning at 300rpm. After a diag test I found the thermal sensor on one of the cpus was no good. After replacing its very, very quite.

Both fans spin at 300rpm only speeding up when its very hot.

Cheers

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Check Energy Saver in System Preferences, try turning the processor performance down to "reduced". If you aren't doing anything demanding it may make your system cooler and reduce the need for fans. I run on reduced when doing basic web browsing and fans aren't so loud.

EDIT: You've gotta love the sounds it makes when you press the power button for startup…ROOOAAAHHHHMMMMMMMMM :D

9. smokestack macrumors member

as far as oil goes, do a web search, there are a few ideas floating around.
    the one that makes the most sense to me is sewing machine oil (designed for repetitive, high speed lubrication), but household oil should do the trick.
    try not to get it everywhere :p