Noisy HDD in optibay caddy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hudy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. hudy macrumors newbie

I have Macbook Pro 2012.

I replaced my original HDD with an SSD and installed the HDD in optibay caddy where the optical drive used to be. The HDD has gotten much louder and produces constant humming noise (just as if the fan is spinning to much, but the fan speed is actually 2000rpm based on iStat).

If I put the HDD back to the original spot, the noise remains. I cannot get rid of it anymore.

I was looking to buy a new HDD, but realised that maybe the nature of the noise is different, as other people also experience higher level of noise after this modification.

Do you think the HDD has been damaged during the procedure? Will replacing it with a new one solve the noise issue? Why do you think the HDD still makes the noise when put back to the original place?

Many thanks

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

What caddy are you using?
    This occurs a lot when people buy the cheap ones.

3. hudy thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the caddy:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008F89KKA/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Well, I would not normally mind a slight increase in noisiness, but this is too much. And more importantly, when I put the HDD back to the original place, it remains noisy. I am beginning to think that I damaged the HDD while installing, although I swear I handled it with maximal care.

I would be grateful for any feedback as I dont wanna buy a new HDD without knowing that the noisy sound would actually go away.

Cheers