Noisy HDD in Optical Bay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ov3reasy, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ov3reasy macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro9,1 15" 2012
    About 3 months ago I installed a Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256gb in my main bay and moved my Apple HDD 750gb to the optical bay. It worked great for 3 months until last week, it started this loud clicky popping noise. The computer still seems to be performing ok, it is just very loud. Also it doesn't matter what I am doing i.e. video v.s. email it's there either way.

In system info under the Apple HDD it says
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Failing

This computer is barely over a year old and I find it hard to believe that the drive would be going,
    Another forum suggested that the optical bay may not be set up for 6GB/s because the dvd player operates at maybe 3GB/s or something like that. I can see the logic in this possibility but there must be a workaround for this.

Question 1:
    Is there a script solution or some other work around to keep the HDD or a replacement HDD in place?

Question 2: Assuming the HDD is still good.
    Should I swap the drives, SSD in the optical bay and the HDD in the main bay?
    What would be the drawbacks?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Failing drive is going to fail. Better have a backup.

If it's got AppleCare put it back to stock and get it fixed, else swap out the HDD for a Seagate 1TB SSHD.

3. ov3reasy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, i bought a seagate 1tb sshd. so far the seagate hybrid drive is working great! good deal at $100 and only took me 10minutes to swap the drives.

restoring via time machine however did not go well, due in large part to the restrictive permissions.
    i was using a 2nd user, allowed as admin, as my primary and had my user folder and all my personal data stored on the failing hd.

because of this i needed to use the original admin user acct. to perform the time machine restore. the first user was not recognized as owner of my data and i didn't know how to fix the problem.
    time machine fail! in my opinion.

i created a new user and started sort of from scratch, i will be using Carbon Copy Cloner as my backup program from now on.