Noisy headphone jack on 17" SR MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milky23, Jun 20, 2007.

1. milky23 macrumors regular

Hi there,

I've had this MBP for a few days and noticed that when I plug in headphones to the headphone jack, I can hear a fair amount of hiss and background noise. Often, this includes intermittent but clearly audible blips and computer tones. At the moment, I am using the iPod's earbuds. When I use my Sennheiser HD 515's, I can hear a single intermittent tone as well (but I don't hear as much other noise as with the iPod earbuds.)

Anyone else? Is this considered normal?
    Sorry for all these posts... I've never had a mac laptop before so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

2. Habusho macrumors 6502

I'm noticing the same problem on my 15" SR MBP. I can hear the hiss in quiet parts of music.

3. Sopranino macrumors 6502

Don't worry about all of the posts, asking questions when unsure of something is a good thing.

As for the actual question about noise in the headphones. There should be no more noise in the headphones then what you would hear out of a normal CD player or MP3 player (assuming even a half decent quality device). I do a LOT of audio editing on my PB G4. When I am doing the final mix down to a master I generally work through a pair of good quality studio monitors, however I do find myself utilizing a pair of headphones (AKG 271s) while doing portions of the mix down and I have never experienced any amount of hiss. I would recommend that you have the unit examined by Apple, there should not be any audible hiss beyond what would be normal from a personal music player.

Sopranino