Noisy iMac when playing steam games

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xrayspecs, Jun 15, 2011.

1. xrayspecs, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

xrayspecs macrumors newbie

I have noticed a ticking/clicking noise (loudest all along the top) when playing games such as Half Life 2 and Assassins Creed II using Steam.
    Also randomly what can only be described as a turbo fan will start up (bottom left) and can only be stopped with a shutdown.

iMac 27" i7 Mid 2011 12GB RAM 2GB VRAM HD 6970M

When I check istat pro everything seems normal, also have run the hardware diagnostics at startup with no problems found.

Anyone else?

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I get the loud fan as well. The fan maxes out and doesn't slow down. Seems to be a glitch in the sensor or something. I've had the problem since I bought mine.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

, it might not be a glitch , its a quiet powerful gpu in that small space , and as such get quiet warm under heavy use and gaming is heavy use , so apple might have set it up to avoid overheating
    normally everyone is worried here if the fans dont kick in full speed and install fan controllers to get the iMac's run cooler when gaming

4. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Same iMac as you and when I play Battlefield or Just Cause 2 on steam I don't get any sounds like that. I'd get that looked at.

5. xrayspecs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know, this will help on the call with apple.

6. leon2arts macrumors newbie

i just send out for a replacement my 1-day old imac 27 for this reasson.

Mine had the cpu fan maxed out right from the boot! the cpu fan was running at 3600 rpm (the noise was very LOUD!) and the temp was just ~ 28-31
    i contacted apple and they said that the temp sensor on the cpu was deffective.

call them and check it up, its not normal to max the fan like that (if the temp is not beyond normal)

hope it helps