Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

athinamj

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
A few days ago I replaced my internal hard drive because after 2 months from purchase it crashed. The service people replaced it with a ST3500630AS Q Media and all I can say is that it's noisy. It's really irritating because I used my mac to be completely quiet. Should I be worried and call the service to tell them what's going on or should I let it be? :confused:

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
you may not need to get worried, but you can certainly call them and see if they'll give you a hard drive that doesn't drive you nuts.

athinamj

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Well I called them and the technician told me not to worry because some hard drives are noisy and others aren't. He told me that he tested the hard drive when he installed it for faults and bad sectors but all the tests came clear. He gave me an option to buy the hard drive I want and bring it with my imac to him to replace it if I can't handle the noise. I don't know what's best to do. Does anyone have a similar hard drive in his imac?

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Its a noisy drive don't worry about it; the hard drive is noisier and hotter then other drives out there in the market. But it should be fine. If your concerned it is going to blow up buy a samsung f1 there quiet and cool too.

athinamj

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I guess you are right. I will try to put up with it and if I can't I will buy another one! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.