Noisy Macbook Pro Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SolitaryHowl, Jan 22, 2013.

1. SolitaryHowl, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

SolitaryHowl macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago I've noticed the left fan on my Macbook Pro (late 2006) getting noisier whenever the fan speed rose above idle. I chalked it up to just dust.

It has been getting steadily worse, and now makes noise even at idle (2000rpm).

Just now, I've noticed it will not go beyond 4000 rpm even though the other (right) fan goes up to 6000rpm just fine.

I'm wondering if it can be repaired with WD-40, or if I need to get an entire new fan?

I guess it kinda sounds like a dirtbike, if I had to describe the sound.

Oh, and because its a 2006 model, its obviously out of warranty and I'm not going to have them send it away for a small problem like this.
    I've opened it up before, so I know how to navigate my way inside of it. I'd just rather not spend $50 on a new fan when I can lube it for less than $5.
    Thanks everyone.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

The fans have bearings in them. They are not designed for being lubricated. When they wear out, like what is happening in your case, the fan needs to be replaced.

$50, huh? I'm assuming here that you're referring to the iFixit price? If so, I would shop around. You can probably find a better deal elsewhere.

Of course, feel free to lube it up if you want. Don't be surprised, though, if you end up with bits of WD-40 on the inside of your system. That's not a condition that I would be wiling to risk.

3. SolitaryHowl thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked elsewhere, and $50 give or take a few dollars seems to be the norm. I'm not risking giving my credit card out to a site I don't trust to only save a few extra bucks.

Thanks.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Well then, it sounds like you already had your answer before I got here.

Sorry for wasting your time.

5. SolitaryHowl thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I just wanted confirmation that it needed replacing and not lubing. So thanks. :)

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Replace it man and be done with it. Be sure ur buying a NEW fan and not a used or refurb one.