Noisy MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueRibbon, Dec 2, 2011.

1. BlueRibbon macrumors newbie

Finally got my 13 MBP from that $1049 Amazon deal. UPS lost my first MBP, and Amazon had to issue a replacement. Long and stressful week...

Anyway, finally got it this afternoon. Turned it on, and to my surprise, the laptop is quite noisy even at idle. From I can tell, the fan is a lot nosier than the 15 MBP I have from work and wife's 11 MBA. Started searching "macbook pro noise fan" and found many complaints. Is it defective? Maybe it will get better after several days of use?

Oh well, no biggie, I thought, just a laptop, still quieter than the Thinkpad T420 I also got from work. Then opened up the case, put in the 8GB memory, and 160GB Intel SSD I got earlier, and started system recovery.

All of a sudden, I realized the laptop became dead silent! :eek: Memory won't make any noise, so it has to be the stock hard drive. Connected the stock 500GB to an external SATA power and USB cable, and yes, the noise came right back. I thought I could tell HD noise from CPU fan! Oh well, this HD gives a unifying humming noise very similar to a CPU fan. By the way, it is a Seagate 5400rpm drive.

Figure I should share my experience. If you think your MBP's "fan" is noisy, check out your hard drive too!

2. jtabije macrumors newbie

You aren't the only one. I experienced a very similar problem with my 2011 13" MBP.

My previous 2010 13" MBP was dead silent at idle. However, as soon as I got the 2011 13" MBP, like you, I noticed the loud noise and figured out that it was the drive. Without going through the hassle of trying to find a quiet HDD, I jsut went out and got a Intel 320.

Expensive solution.. but it worked! haha!

3. atomsmith macrumors newbie