Noisy microphone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pottebaum, May 27, 2008.

1. pottebaum macrumors member

Hey,

I just got my new macbook today...and I've noticed that the built-in microphone produces a distracting, static'y noise whenever I play back my videos.

Any idea as to what I should do?

Here's what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSP5G_Q_GCg
    ^the room was silent.

Thanks!

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Well, it's not a studio quality microphone or anything, but I've gotten pretty good performance out of the microphone on my old iBook G4, and my currently owned imac and Macbook Pro.

Here's a few things you can try:
    Go to System Preferences and go to "Sound". Click on the Input tab and decrease the input volume for your microphone. It might help reduce background noise. Another thing you can try is checking off the "Use ambient noise reduction" box if it's not already checked.

Note: I'm still using 10.4.11, so if you're using Leopard (which you almost certainly are if your macbook's brand new) then I'm not sure if your system preferences will have exactly the same options.

3. pottebaum thread starter macrumors member

It's still not exactly what I would expect, but reducing the volume a bit and turning on the ambient sound reduction helped a lot.

Thanks!

4. pottebaum thread starter macrumors member

This is kind of odd.

After doing all the volume stuff, I could still hear the piiiiiip noise in the background. It wasnt bad. But definitely still there.

Then, for a reason I don't remember anymore, clapped my hands next to the mic...and now it seems near perfect. Does that make sense at all? haha