noisy neighbor help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marykay9507, Feb 24, 2008.

1. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

So my husband and I are having a serious issue with our neighbor's teens next door. At least one night out of the weekend, they have their friends over to party...when they are inside the house, we can't hear them...however they go onto the deck to smoke...and the deck is right next to our bedroom-- needless to say, we get woken up while they are out there for 15 minutes or so...then they go in and we fall asleep only to have t happen again an hour later.

This is what happened Friday night, so last nigh we got into bed quite early because we were really tired because we got up early on Saturday for work. Last night at about 12:30, they decided to get into the hot tub on the deck, screaming and yelling again for about 20 minutes (it was like 25 degrees here last night, so I suppose that is all they could stand)-- we were up again and watched tv until we could fall back asleep (as we were pretty aggravated)-- 2am it happened again. My husband actually slept in the guest room because he couldn't take it anymore.

How would you deal with this? We have only lived here for about 6 months and the teens parents are very nice, and are not home when this happens-- we obviously are going to say something to them (I was all ready to go over at 7am this morning when I woke up, but thought better of it)-- How would you approach it? We don't want to call the cops, but know it is only going to get worse as the warmer months approach...so any advice anyone could give me would be great!

I also worry abut saying something as the teens don't seem to be the nicest kids in the world and I worry about retaliation of sorts-- I love kids, but am about at the end of my non-sleeping rope.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Talk to the parents first.

If the noise isn't a problem in the guest bedroom, maybe you could compromise by sleeping there when the kids have their friends over.

Whatever you do, not dealing with it is only going to make the problem worse, the sooner you approach the problem, the better.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say calmly talk to the parents first. If that does not work out it would be time to elevated it to start calling the cops.

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Talk to them calmly first and just tell them that when they aren't home their kids can be a little loud. I wouldn't rat them out on smoking or what ever, just put out there that they are being loud.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm a little confused. Do the parents know this is going on or are they oblivious to it? If the kids are having parties without the parents' knowledge and you're okay with that (so long as they're quiet!), talking directly to the kids may work. If you just tell them you understand they want to have a good time but they need to keep it quiet when they're outside, that may be the easiest solution. Obviously, the undertone of this conversation should be that you'll tell their parents if they don't shut the hell up.

6. marykay9507 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

thanks for the advice guys--

adk...i think the parents know the kids are having people over, but not how loud they are being-- their father bartends on weekends, so he gets home late and they seem t have people over when the mom is absent as well

the parents have not been home all day, so we have not approached them yet, but hopefully soon