Noisy Optical Drive on New MacBook Pro 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warvanov, Nov 10, 2011.

1. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I just got my new MacBook Pro a week ago and I'm loving it. It was a refurbished model, but so far everything seems to be in perfect working order. Well, possibly except for the optical drive.

I've noticed sometimes that when setting down the MBP something in or near the optical drive goes "clunk". This also sometimes happens when adjusting the MBP on my lap. It sounds as if there is an internal mechanism loose, but I'm not sure about taking it into an Apple store because I'm not able to reliably reproduce this sound.

Also, I've tested the drive out and it was able to play and rip a DVD just fine, but when reading from the disc it made a lot of loud mechanical noises when the optical sensor was moving to read information from different parts of the disc. These noises stopped when playing the movie or when ripping began, but I'm wondering if these noises are normal?

2. Kafka macrumors 6502

Yes it is noisy when in use, but what you're hearing when it's empty is the heads of your hard drive parking when movement is detected, in order to prevent damage.
    It's a feature.

3. lc25 macrumors 6502

This clunking noise is the hard drive stopping spinning in order to protect its self if it had been knocked off a counter or something. Nothing to worry about !! Glad you enjoying the new Macbook

4. warvanov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reassuring responses. I'm relieved.