Noisy optical drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeKiD, Mar 5, 2008.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Hi guys, on my recent Mac Pro, the only thing I noticed that is annoying is the noisy optical drive. I haven't found a thread on this. Whenever I put a dvd player and it starts playing it, the thing goes full throttle. When I stop the dvd from the dvd player, the drives keeps spinning full speed.

Anyone else experiences that?

2. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Actually, just tested the Zeitgeist movie in my drive and it's only that DVD that does all the spinning. My bad.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sometimes, when a DVD is badly printed our drives work extra hard to track the content. I think it's kinda normal for the odd disc to cause the drive to make a racket. I think you need to be concerned when it's making lots of noise on all ya discs.

;)

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Yes, I was installing rFactor off the DVD included from my Logitech G25 and it sounded like it was going to blow up! A few years back I was using a slot-loaded Pioneer DVD drive to read a disc that had a slight hairline crack; needless to say, that was the last time I used that drive or seen that disc in one piece again. I get anxiety attacks anytime I hear noise coming from the DVD drive.