Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I have a new 13" i5 MBA and I just found out that the space bar key is very noisy compared to the other keys which are dead silent. When I press it completely and move my finger around, it sounds like if you were crushing very slightly the protective film that comes with the Air the first time you open the box. It sounds like that too if I press it softly enough so it doesn't do the space when typing, it is incredibly annoying -_-
Also, when I lightly press the right part of the key on the top it doesn't respond and when I press hard enough I can see the middle of the spacebar key bending until it's entirely flat.
See image for an example:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is this normal with MBA keyboards? What do you recommend? I was thinking of taking the key off and see what was the problem but I've never done that before; if so, what's the procedure of doing this with these keyboards? I live in Puerto Rico and we don't have an Apple Store, surprisingly enough :rolleyes:.. I don't have the commodity of going there and let a Genius do it for me. We do have Apple authorized sellers, could they do this for free? I think I've read somewhere that countries where there are no Apple stores you can go to Apple authorized selling stores to solve things like this. Thanks in advance!

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I would just live with it before I'd start dissecting the keyboard.

If it was another key I would not even mind, but it had to be the spacebar haha :rolleyes:. I really think that it is not connected as it's supposed to be, like if a clip was loose.

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I went to Best Buy to compare and they had an 11'' MBA available and it had the same noise, so I guess it's a common thing between MBAs. Phew :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.