Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
I ordered two BTO '16 MBPs for work - Both with 2.7, 460, and 1TB SSDs. They arrived last week.

Immediately upon setting up FileVault on one of them, I noticed some weird noises coming from behind the Enter key. A sort of buzzing, electrical sound only noticeable in a quiet room -- but once you hear it you can't stop hearing it. It sounds like a traditional spinning hard drive writing to disk.

Doing some research, this seems like a relatively common issue with Apple's solid state drives: http://www.mackungfu.org/apple-s-non-silent-solid-state-disks-ssds (even though I've never noticed it personally it on any of my previous Apple laptops).

In fact if you follow the instructions on that page and install BlackMagic Disk Speed Test, you will likely hear this noise coming from your SSD in any recent generation Macbook*. It seems to get louder during reads than writes. According to the internet, it is electrical noise that results from such tightly packed electronics ("a coil (whine) noise coming from inductors inside of it trying to regulate high voltages").

Anyway this noise is noticeably louder on one of the two macbook pros I ordered (with identical specs). Loud enough that it's driving me crazy. So I have two questions for the Macrumors community --

(1) Does your 2016 Macbook Pro also make this noise? And is noticeable for you?

(2) What are my options regarding replacement? I know I have 14 days to request a refund, but can I request a replacement instead? Presumably I would do this at the Genius bar. But it might be difficult to recreate the noise in a loud Apple store. Also, I doubt they would have a replacement with these specs available in store and in stock. Would I have to wait another 3 weeks to get this replacement?

Thanks!

tl;dr: the 1TB SSD in my 2016 Macbook Pro is making an electrical noise during reads and writes that is driving me crazy! does yours do this too? what are my options?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The short , you have till the 8th of Jan to return it during the festive season , I'll try it on mine today and confirm if I have the same noise

Reactions: Xombie11

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Hissing noise, Coil Whine, Capacitors Click and Whine are normal in the modern electronics. But if you think that this noise is very loud I suggest to exchange/return it.

Chocomonsters

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
2016 15in. 2.9, 460, 1 TB. Yup. Mine has faint hissing sound during BlackMagic write also. I can only hear it with my ear next to keyboard in quite room. Not too bother by it.

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
I'll bring it to the Genius bar this week and see if they have a replacement in stock or order one in. Thanks for the input guys!

theberto

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
maybe is a bit off topic, but I would linke to ask you if the new ssd on mbpro 2016 are actually faster than the ones in mbpro 2015 models
thanks

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
That said, I haven't really noticed it much. Compared to my Razor Blade, I had a constant static/coil whine anytime it was on. That was super annoying. I didn't notice this until this discussion.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
if the new ssd on mbpro 2016 are actually faster than the ones in mbpro 2015 models
Yes, see this test: http://barefeats.com/hilap2016.html

Large reads:
2015 MBP scores 2016 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 2929 MB/s

Large writes:
2015 MBP scores 1523 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 2196 MB/s

Small reads:
2015 MBP scores 509 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 555 MB/s

Small writes:
2015 MBP scores 909 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 937 MB/s

So it depends on your use case. For large reads/writes, the difference is quite big. For small reads/writes (which you will usually do), the difference is quite small and will probably not noticeable.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I bet it is coil whine. It is from the circuitry. Very common for electronic devices. My shaver even has coil whine I can hear when it is charging.

theberto

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Yes, see this test: http://barefeats.com/hilap2016.html

Large reads:
2015 MBP scores 2016 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 2929 MB/s

Large writes:
2015 MBP scores 1523 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 2196 MB/s

Small reads:
2015 MBP scores 509 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 555 MB/s

Small writes:
2015 MBP scores 909 MB/s
2016 MBP scores 937 MB/s

So it depends on your use case. For large reads/writes, the difference is quite big. For small reads/writes (which you will usually do), the difference is quite small and will probably not noticeable.
Thank you! what is an example of a large write?

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Mine has it as well (2016 15" 1tb), heard this on a couple of other 15" 2016 models as well as a 13" tb 512gb model.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I'll bring it to the Genius bar this week and see if they have a replacement in stock or order one in. Thanks for the input guys!

Did you ever get your replacement? If so, just out of curiosity, does it have the coil whine as well?

LegolasWang

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
I ordered two BTO '16 MBPs for work - Both with 2.7, 460, and 1TB SSDs. They arrived last week.

Immediately upon setting up FileVault on one of them, I noticed some weird noises coming from behind the Enter key. A sort of buzzing, electrical sound only noticeable in a quiet room -- but once you hear it you can't stop hearing it. It sounds like a traditional spinning hard drive writing to disk.

Doing some research, this seems like a relatively common issue with Apple's solid state drives: http://www.mackungfu.org/apple-s-non-silent-solid-state-disks-ssds (even though I've never noticed it personally it on any of my previous Apple laptops).

In fact if you follow the instructions on that page and install BlackMagic Disk Speed Test, you will likely hear this noise coming from your SSD in any recent generation Macbook*. It seems to get louder during reads than writes. According to the internet, it is electrical noise that results from such tightly packed electronics ("a coil (whine) noise coming from inductors inside of it trying to regulate high voltages").

Anyway this noise is noticeably louder on one of the two macbook pros I ordered (with identical specs). Loud enough that it's driving me crazy. So I have two questions for the Macrumors community --

(1) Does your 2016 Macbook Pro also make this noise? And is noticeable for you?

(2) What are my options regarding replacement? I know I have 14 days to request a refund, but can I request a replacement instead? Presumably I would do this at the Genius bar. But it might be difficult to recreate the noise in a loud Apple store. Also, I doubt they would have a replacement with these specs available in store and in stock. Would I have to wait another 3 weeks to get this replacement?

Thanks!

tl;dr: the 1TB SSD in my 2016 Macbook Pro is making an electrical noise during reads and writes that is driving me crazy! does yours do this too? what are my options?
Same noise here with 15 and 13

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
My 2012 Macbook Air also has this although in all the years I've owned it, I never noticed until I read this thread! It's very feint though unless you put your ear close. My tMBP arrives next week, so I expect it'll also be the same

princ2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2017
@Xombie11 I received mine MBP yesterday, will be testing it today for those noises. Will let you know. My configuration is non-BTO one, with 455 GPU.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Coil whine. Almost all electronics devices do it to a greater or lesser degrees. In the fast things like disk rotation and fan noise would mask it. Now that we have SSDs and with the new Macbook Pros have quieter fans you are more likely to notice it.

You hear it more when you do more on your computer because it is cause by the magnetic fields generated when current is passed through the wires, especially coils, changes. More work, more current being passed, more potential for noise.

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Did you ever get your replacement? If so, just out of curiosity, does it have the coil whine as well?

The genius at the Apple store agreed that my machine was defective -- the coil whine was louder than my other model, and the models in general. However because my machine was BTO, the only option he gave me for replacement was for me to sent it back, have a new one built and receive the new one in 2-3 weeks. Being out of my work computer for that long was not an option so I decided to keep my noisy Macbook pro and live with it. To be honest, the noise doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Apple's policy on replacements to BTO machines is archaic -- have they never heard of a standard cross-ship RMA? For something this expensive ($3k+) their replacement policy on defective units is incredibly frustrating.

Reactions: aloshka

kesha-antonov

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
I have the same annoying noises! Sounds like an old hdd. MacBook Pro 2018 Mid 2.6GHz/16Gb RAM/512Gb SSD/560X. Apple lost my trust. I will look for other brands. For such an expensive machine I expected more!

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I bet it is coil whine. It is from the circuitry. Very common for electronic devices. My shaver even has coil whine I can hear when it is charging.

Saying that, a lot of people were giving flack to the XPS lineup for having coil whine (and championing MacBook's over them, citing Dell's as garbage for having coil whine) - which made me think that, pre-2016, it wasn't really an issue for MacBook's?

kesha-antonov

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
Saying that, a lot of people were giving flack to the XPS lineup for having coil whine (and championing MacBook's over them, citing Dell's as garbage for having coil whine) - which made me think that, pre-2016, it wasn't really an issue for MacBook's?
Yeah. Previously I’ve had MacBook Pro 2015 13” and everything was good. Just upgraded for more performance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.